.222 problems

I have a t3 varmint in .222 topped with a 4200 elite which i have been using on the foxes to great effect.

I have been reloading from the start,i reloaded pistol ammo for years,and settled on 20grns of vv 130 behind a 50grn v-max which i was able to keep inside 1" at 100yrds.

When i went to get more bullets my dealer said he could only get 55grn v-max so i took them thinking there should not be much difference maybe a slightly different poi.

How wrong i was!I made up 3 batchs of 10rds with 19.5,20 and 20.5grns of 130 and topped them with the 55grn v-max and went out this afternoon to see which was best.

I could not keep any of the loads under 6" and some were missing the sheet of a4 that the dots were on! :good:

The rifle was shot last week and i was vapourising apples at 90yrds with ease,it has not been touched since.

Would changing to the 55grn heads make this difference?

I used some 55grn speer sp before and while not just as accurate as the 50grn v-max they were fine.

Any ideas? :D

You can`t just swap heads and use the same powder load, you need a complete new recipe designed for the 55gn head.

I may be teaching you to suck eggs here but, you had increased the "payload" by 10% !!!!

I`ll try and get my books out and rustle something up for you.

As i said i am not a rookie at reloading and did check the manuals,19.5grns is the starting load with a col of 2.160.