Pigeon shooting with Air rifle

03luffmb

Could any 1 give me any tips on pigeon shooting with a air rifle i normal just sit under a tree and wait for 1 to land but never seem to get much maybe 1 or 2 pigeons..... Also i have 12 full body pigeon decoys but they never seem to work :good: maybe i just dont put them in the correct place :D . Can any 1 give me any tips on what i need to look for to find a good spot to shoot in.

Ive got plent of my dads land to shoot on.

All i do when im out for pigeons is sit in one of the coppices we have on the farm and..... wait! I have a small waterproof mat to sit on and a full camo suit.

The camo i use it from an auction site that rhymes with fleabay :lol: They cost a couple of quid each and they are brilliant, hardwearing, and warm. Type in NBC suit in the search :good::lol::lol:

(not saying that buying one wil guarantee you shoot pigeons but its good camo, if its good enough for the forces to hide themselves in then its ok for hunters!)

mmmmm if his dad has got land,and people with land,should know a thing or two about this subject.has not filled in profile.then you have to say,maybe another wind up merchant. :lol::good::lol::lol:

Not all people who own land shoot and know the best ways to shoot, i dont get your 'logic' col s10

well i just thought that country type guys,would know a little,about their environment.no offence meant.

Put your decoys out in the patterns you can find on this site using the search function - put them out along the flight line from the roost to the river on your dad's land. think seriously about getting a flapper or bouncer to have at some place at the opening of the pattern to look like a pigeon coming in to land. hide yourself siwthin 20 yards or so of the decoys and wait patiently.

good luck

Welcome 03luffmb :good: I would watch to see where the pigeons are roosting for the night on your land then get in place a couple of hours before dark .
It's illegal to shoot roosting woodies but not ferals!

EH?

You can shoot a roosting bird providing it is not more than one hour past the official sunset time. You can shoot birds coming into roost and roosting. :lol: But you are only allowed to use an artificial illuminating device for ferals.

FM :lol:

Welcome 03luffmb :birthday: I would watch to see where the pigeons are roosting for the night on your land then get in place a couple of hours before dark .
It's illegal to shoot roosting woodies but not ferals!

EH?

You can shoot a roosting bird providing it is not more than one hour past the official sunset time. You can shoot birds coming into roost and roosting. :birthday: But you are only allowed to use an artificial illuminating device for ferals.

FM :yay:

Thats what i mean!

Spend some time watching locate a flight line or a roosting area place decoys in a "V" pattern making sure the the middle decoy is facing into the wind then the others like wise facing into the wind forming a "v" shape with 2 to 3 feet gaps between the decoys make sure the pattern is within the effective range of the weapon and use natural cover. if your in a cops area wait for the birds to commit to the decoys and shoot once they have landed as a jumping bird is a common sight on the ground and will not frighten any birds in the trees, do not walk out to bag any kills as this will give your position away keep still be patient if the birds do not commit to the decoy pattern change to an "L" shape remember to face them into the wind. also baiting the area with some grain or seeds Maize or Corn or sunflower seeds may help .... Best of luck :good::lol:

Guest The Outlaw
Spend some time watching locate a flight line or a roosting area place decoys in a "V" pattern making sure the the middle decoy is facing into the wind then the others like wise facing into the wind forming a "v" shape with 2 to 3 feet gaps between the decoys make sure the pattern is within the effective range of the weapon and use natural cover. if your in a cops area wait for the birds to commit to the decoys and shoot once they have landed as a jumping bird is a common sight on the ground and will not frighten any birds in the trees, do not walk out to bag any kills as this will give your position away keep still be patient if the birds do not commit to the decoy pattern change to an "L" shape remember to face them into the wind. also baiting the area with some grain or seeds Maize or Corn or sunflower seeds may help .... Best of luck :good::lol:

Did you see the field feeding debate on here the other week, not sure if its legal or not, so be careful.

Tony

Yes I did and emotional as it was i do not feel that putting a hand full of seed on the ground to tempt a Pigeon in is no different to putting Decoys down either one has the same effect to fool or entice a bird into a killing zone to eradicte said pest to reduce the damage to farmed produce I.E crops. also when a field is harvested there is a percentige of said crop on the ground which is why the birds come in to feed. I have tried this but only when out with the air rifle in winter. good or bad that the truth .....