my dogs up the duff....

need some help off u guys.....my springer is 7 week preggers and i would like to no if there is anything that i can give her to make her pass the pups easy....my mate says give her oily fish,,:lol:

iam very scared, as this is my first dog and first litter and need everything to go well. :lol: .......cheers for any help PLUCKERS SON.

Pluckers Son.

Some quick pointers (it's late!)

Get a good book on dog breeding!

Make sure your bitch is in good health!

Make sure she is up to date with her jabs!

Start feeding her a good quality puppy feed + puppy milk (she will pass all the goodness on to the pups!) continue to feed this until the pups are fully weaned!

If there is more than a 3 hour gap between births GET HER TO THE VET ! they will give her an injection to help the contractions!

When you think she is finished giving birh get her checked by a vet to make sure there are no pups left! (you can check by feeling yourself but as this is your first liitter I would suggest you get her checked!)

Don't let vet fees be an issue!

Your main concern should be the health of the bitch and the litter!

Any further questions, post or PM me!

Good luck!

Look forward to hearing of the progress and seeing some photos!!

Cheers!

Pluckers Son:

Mad Springer has given you some excellent advice. The only thing I would add is do not over feed your bitch. If you make her fat, you will make the puppys fat and thats when you have problems. Feed her a good quality puppy, or performance food feeding her sensibly. If your need help figuring out how much to feed stop by your Vet, with a bag and ask. Also remember to put the Vet on standby usually 2 days before she is do to whelp. Most vets will give you there home number if they know you have a litter of pups due. That said you had better only use it in an EMERGENCY.

Good Luck and start reading.

P.S.

If you know a breeder or two go and talk to them, or get hold of Mad Springer and pick his brain I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

P.P.S

Pluckers Son / Mad Springer, hows the Training coming on?

Hi NTTF,

My Springer dog is now retrieving well. Mixing cold game in with the dummies has given him a new drive for retrieving, he’s out quickly and returns very quickly, not that he wasn’t keen before but he’s stepped up a notch.

I was out pigeon shooting twice over the weekend, first outing for around 10/11 weeks. As I was a little rusty (off to the local clay ground for some practice this week) I had a few pricked birds, the dog was sent out and he picked them quickly and cleanly, enabling me to dispatch them swiftly. I have been very pleased with his progress and look forward to working him regularly during the coming season.

Thanks again for all your advice!

Cheers

P.S. Canine Psychology is a subject I have always been interested in, increasingly more so over the past year or more. I have read a number of books on the subject and wish to delve deeper. Is there any good material you would recommend?

The best thing that I can reccommend is common sence.

Sit quietly, and look at the problem from the dogs perspective, and then start breaking it down into the steps that caused the issue. After you have the cause continue to sit quietly and build steps to fix it, all the time looking at how the dog is going to see it.

Being able to think like a two year old helps too...... :lol:

Best of luck

thanx ever so much for your advice MAD SPRINGER and NTTF..off to get my puppy food today and also the milk.

cant wait for the pups to be born so i can get my dog back to normal....5 weeks ago my good shooting friend daves springer had a litter of 13 pups but some died and he was left with 8 very healthy pups...soon found there feet running all over now little baskets..lol

as for the training NTTF ive given up mate,my dog is more of a spoilet disobediant little **** whitch has the run of our house.... iam still going to use her for rough shooting in the season i would like to take her pigeon shooting but when i stop to sit down she wines like a little baby..never sits still and its very off putting when shooting....never mind she is a good companen to me and a good house pet,not much of a working dog...all she wants to do is chew stones,eat my girlfriends pants and also my socks very strange dog...lol. :lol: in a 2 or 3 years iam going to get another springer but it will be outside and wont be spoilet.

will keep u up to date with the dogs progress and lots of picks...hope she has a lot my bird wants to buy a leater sette :lol:

After several litters I recommend 'Book of the Bitch' published by Henston and written by J M Evans & Kay White - its got nearly all the answers!!

Dont wait for three hours, its too long. After one and a half hours try to get the bitch up and walking around the kennel, if nothing after two hours talk to your vet.

Good luck

potshot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...