Legal question.......

Evil Elvis

Chris thats an idea, ill look into it.

Thanks Andy :/

Please don't go down that route, you may think she will be fine for a few months but something has caused her temperament to change and the odds are it is because she is in pain. It may seem like the easier way of letting someone else deal with the issue but one last walk to the vets is far kinder. It saves her going through the stress of a new home and pointers are very sensitive like that.

I think there can be no doubt your dog is in pain and discomfort.

Take her to the Vet and let him make the decision.

If he says its kinder to put her to sleep, your wife can hardly blame you.

She (the dog) won't get better and things at home will not improve by prolonging the situation.

Best of luck.

Up to a point Cranfield, Vets are ok to make the decision until you get a young female one who wants to test for this that and the other. The old school vets gave you an honest opinion and didn't try and stretch the realms of animal medicine while raping your wallet. In your heart you always know whats right and you need to make sure they do what you want.

i once had a whippet had him for about 5 years and a lad was looking for a whippet for a bit of rabbiting so i sold him the whippet as i had to many dogs at the time, anyway the deal was done and about 3 days later the lad who bought him rang to say the dog was going mad the 1st day the next day he wudnt eat and now hes lying foaming at the mouth and wont move he said the dog is gonna die cos it must be homesick so i met the lad half way gave him his money back and he was right the dog was slowly but surely gonna die i took him straight to the vet who said no obivious reason for his condition and he agreed it was that the dog was missing me and would proably die if it had of stayed with the other lad, after a day the whippet was as right as rain in my back yard . so the point being if you rehome beaware of my situation i know most dogs settle in ok but if youve 1 like my whippet you will as good as kill him rehomeing

I don;t think that "taking your dog for a last hunt" is a problem. Your problem will be the same as my mate had when he injected his dog after many happy years, which is to find a place to bury him!!! I asked the local farmer if he would mind but he quoted new DEFRA regulations and said no.

SO we found a place in some quiet woods and buried him on a snowy night !

I always feel that our companions gave us soooooo much, from companionship to their help with hunting, guarding out families and properties and I for one feel that the least and last thing I can do for them is let them die in my arms (this is a bit easier if your mate is a vet and lets you have the necessary stuff !)

However it turns out, I feel with you mate

If my children were in danger...the sooner the old girl was out of the picture the better.........I would have no problem going for a walk....digging a final resting place, and ending the suffering....

having the dog PTS by a vet would, by far be a more dignified end.......but either way the dog has to go...I would feel no guilt about it whatsoever.

well this is a first for me,ive been talking and thinking about you dilemer all day.i have a pet /working dog and three kids so i sort of feel a bit more for you.

why cant you give your beloved dog some human sleeping tapplets wrapped in ham then bury the old girl on one of your shoots.but without patranizeing youany way if money is the problem i would gladly donate £5.00 i know its not alot and to be honest i dont want you to think it as charity because i am a great believer in karma what goes around and all that bxxxxks.

anyway i wish you all the best in what ever the outcome :good:

Guest The Outlaw

Its a tough one bud, I was there last year with Sian, what ever you do I know it will be for the best.

I have faith in you, your Lisa needs to be a bit more realistic about things.

I am sure she will come round to the right train of thought.

If you need any other help drop me a PM

Tony

:lol: Thanks again guys, It really isn't a money issue at all. Its my kids purely and simply that im concerned for, and of course my 2 younger dogs as well, sooner or later shes going to do one of them a mischief. Its Lisa she is a devout animals lover....she got blurry eyed over a squirrel that got run over the other day (even though i shoot tons of the bleeders) and she always gives it " ah thats a pretty rat" right before I nut it and feed it to a snake....shes soft to the core( one of her qualities I like). Im too tired and emotionally drained after 7x 12 hour shifts on the trot to make the decision today but I'll keep you informed how it pans out. There has been some great advice and obviously some long pondered, thought out answers, which is not only supportive but has reinstated some of my faith in my fellow humans....... :good:

Time came for my old girl a couple of years ago, you know its time but its still hard to do, a long walk and then off to the vets is how I did it.

As it seems its the wife that is the animal lover what about the suffering of the other 2 dogs as well as yours and the kids.

Sad to say it but as it is I would suggest you say you are taking her to the vets to see what they say / can do for her , but fear the worst and have it done

Trev.

EE tell her she is causing more suffering than she is saving. Just by keeping the dog alive is she helping it by causing extended suffering or not?

Bloody supposed animal lovers need to sit back and think about the dog and what is going on in its body rather than a belief that its better to be kept alive whatever. She is causing suffering to your other dogs, your children if one gets bitten and to the dog she is keeping alive. If you can get away with taking it for one last walk then just take it for one last walk to another vets and get the job done. Or say she is being re-homed with a mate and then instead of delivering her just go to the vets, then break the news your "mate" had to have her put down

Its perfectly legal to humanly dispatch although its not recommended, if it goes tits up you wont feel too good. If you cant afford to have the dog put to sleep by the vet, then drop it off at the police station who will then send it to a kennel, or a dog re homing organization such as battersea.

And here was me about to send you a fiver unsure.gif

if you do I will buy the missus and kids some food..........

Tony, thanks for asking, she has calmed down a lot, we have stepped up her walks to every night to wear her out and it seems to be doing the trick no more tear ups since i started this post, Im still not happy but lisa is making the effort.......... :lol:

• 4 years later...

I forgot all about this thread.

Heres an Irony for you, the younger dog did in fact have a seizure and die aged 7, Im sure i posted it. But the old girl is STILL here, 15 years old and deteriorating very slowly. She no longer attacks anything, she eats a low protien diet as her kidneys are packing up but she seems happy in her owm little world, Dexter doesnt mind her, Purdey bashes her about a little as shes the leader of the pack, a dominance thing but she doesnt hurt her and Indie is submissive to her, shes not bothered at all about darla and the pup.

Funny how things turn out, it must have been the other pointer she hated which is ironic as we bought her as a companion for Indie. :/

Im not buying anymore guns....................... :)

hahahah and that bit REALLY didnt happen, 2 gun cupboards full later!!! :rolleyes: :blink: