Clay grounds- Nuneaton/Hinckley/Tamworth

esselie

Hi All

I've not been shooting long and just bought l/h Lanber Sporter from Matt at Doveridge. I live in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. Besides Garlands what other grounds are there to shoot clays at, willing to travel 45 mins around for good grounds but would like a club/ground closer to Nuneaton, Hinckley, Atherstone areas if anyone knows of any. Anybody willing to meet up?

Cheers in advance

Rob W

Hi All

I've not been shooting long and just bought l/h Lanber Sporter from Matt at Doveridge. I live in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. Besides Garlands what other grounds are there to shoot clays at, willing to travel 45 mins around for good grounds but would like a club/ground closer to Nuneaton, Hinckley, Atherstone areas if anyone knows of any. Anybody willing to meet up?

Cheers in advance

Rob W

Hey m8,

Funny i am a new shooter and i purchased my Left handed Lanber 30†Deluxe from mat at Doveridge. He is a good bloke, and I believe he is opening a new shop dedicated for left handed shooters.

Garlands is ok, but imo it’s getting a bit tatty, and you can’t go solo shooting as they have no claymates system.

You always have:

SHUGBOROUGH SHOOTING SCHOOL

Shugborough Shooting School

Oakedge Park

Wolseley Bridge

Stafford

Staffordshire

ST17 0XS

It’s a nice place, but they don’t have claymates on the traps so if you are a solo shooter you are stuck.

I wish we had more choose in the local area, Doveridge is around 30 miles one way for me so it’s a long round trip.

Esselie, a mate of mine goes to a small club at corly, they meet once every two weeks and shoot DTL & Sporting. There is also a shoot at Bramcote. If you PM Blackthron he is a member at the corly shoot.

Regards Lanber

Cheers Lanber, sent him a message, hopefully get a response. do you know any contact details of shoot at bramcote and when they meet etc?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All

Cheers in advance

Rob W

Don't know if they still do it but i used to shoot every sunday at ECC Quaries Croft

awsome club and home made ground every bird you can think of any many you can't

cheep too

I mainly shoot at Spa Vale in Leicestershire. It's a nice little shoot on alternate Saturdays and Sundays offering Skeet, Sporting, FITASC and ABT. I'm not associated with them in anyway, but they're a friendly bunch that helped me out when I was new. Details here:

www.spa-vale.co.uk

If you do searches on either the CPSA or BASC websites and look in either Leicestershire or Warwickshire you'll find there's a few around. Spa Vale's not listed on either for some reason.

At last count (about six months ago) the shoot at Bramcote was still on, but I've never shot there (just been told about it by a mate.) It's along the lane that runs past Bramcote Barracks apparently.

Hi,

I am from Atherstone and regularly use the Country Store at Shawbury Lane (on the way to Coleshill). The guy in there told me about a shoot at Packington Lane (Coleshill) which runs every 2 weeks.

I have heard its quite good although I havent been yet.

You could also try the clay pigeon shoot just down the road from Lea Marston golf club. I think if you go down the lane to Lea Marston golf club but keep going there is a lane on the right to the Shezan Curry house (would recommend that as well by the way), and I think it runs on the ground next to that.

Hi,

I am from Atherstone and regularly use the Country Store at Shawbury Lane (on the way to Coleshill). The guy in there told me about a shoot at Packington Lane (Coleshill) which runs every 2 weeks.

I have heard its quite good although I havent been yet.

You could also try the clay pigeon shoot just down the road from Lea Marston golf club. I think if you go down the lane to Lea Marston golf club but keep going there is a lane on the right to the Shezan Curry house (would recommend that as well by the way), and I think it runs on the ground next to that.

Cheers Guys. Rincewind I work in Atherstone and go Countrystore sometimes. Thinking of heading to that shoot may this weekend or next, let you know what its like. Not heard of the Lea Marston shoot, another to bear in mind, not sure about the curry house though, my **** and curry don't agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Use the CPSA club listings to find a club.

Noting what Wanderer says:

Clubs have to pay between £60 and £200 a year to be listed by CPSA or BASC, and they have to agree to a particular set of safety criteria.

So, if the owner begrudges paying a National Body a fee for keeping shooting alive, and many do, then you'll not see them listed. Others are happy to pay the fee, but don't meet the safety standards, ie, may not control 300yds of safety fall out, or have a footpath over the land etc.

Basically, if a club is not listed, be suspicious that either the owner is churlish and refuses to support the NGBs that give him his income, or the shoot has a problem. Consider that it may be best to only support clubs that are affiliated to an NGB.

Clayman.

• 1 year later...

Did any of you guys find details about Bramcote?

There is the small arms shooting range on the army site, near the Golf Course, but I doubt if thats where they do the clays as well as its too close to the married quarters.

I shoot at Kibworth, but i've been told that Wedgenock is cheaper and the Colesill Shooting is also OK, and they are a lot closer. I have looked at their web sites and its a bit confusing as to when they are open.

I go to Kibworth 'cause the shop is good and the people there are really pleasant, but it is a heck of a drive, even from Coventry.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add a quick note about Wedgenock. I went there this week to have a look around and try to find out more about the place.

Was pounced on by the so called Chief Instructor for not reporting to him on immediately on arrival (no signs saying that I should do this) and the guy behind the reception desk answered my questions by pointing a greasy fat finger at some 2 year old scruffy pages stuck on a wall.

The only info I managed to get out of them was how difficult the set up was, and regardless of the fact that they advertise themselves as being a 7 day shoot, told that were only open on Thursday night and for a couple of hours at the weekend, because they, I quote "are more interested in corporate events during the week"

Saw groups of people wandering and shooting with their children, no glasses or ear protection. The Chief Instructor was seriously mutton, and judging by the fact he was not carrying any ear protection himself, I can see why.

Just a mess of a place operated by people with their heads up their a*se.

Return there - think I would rather keep driving to Kibworth. More organised, more friendly and safer.