What air rifle?

lupus

Im more of a PCP man to be honest, but for that kind of money i think you are mainly looking at springer's...

A good friend of mine shoots with a BSA Lighting Xl... it's a lovely gun, and shoots very nicely. He's had it from new and its very smoth and easy to cock... patterns well and is capable of pellet on pellet.

If i was after a springer, i would definatley consider the Bsa.

I used to own an Air Arms TX200HC. This was a really nice gun, but was a little heavy to being carring around all day... just my personal opinon ofcorse. To aid this i fitted a sling, but in order to do this, you need the front swivel to be on the underlever, this was fine, but every now and then, when the gun was over one's shoulder, it would pull the inderlever out of its 'clip'..... proved to be a real pain. Needless to say though, it was a lovely gun.

Hope you find one you like....

All the Best...

R.

PS... Lupus, your name wouldnt happen to be Ron would it?

Edited by Rookie

Hi

For that money you could get a new "cometa 400 fenix", a very very good rifle for the price. you wont see a bad thing said about them, or get something a little better but used. Ask in the "wanted" section and see what comes up.

I'm afraid i strongly disagree!

Cometa air rifles aren't bad for the money like you've said but they are still absolute rubbish.

Go for a decent secondhand rifle such as a BSA Lightning/Supersport or Weihrauch 95k.

I agree with the post above,

Like with bog standard cars stay away from cheap **** Jap guns just don't seem to cut it with me. Its BSA / Webley or a Weihrauch. Weihrauch's are slightly on the heavy side when it comes to springers, but i've had my Weihrauch 35 rifle for almost 20years and its never lost power. my 90 (with a gas-ram not spring) has served me well fro about 10 years and again never ever faultered. Both are accurate as new!!

A decent second hand Webley Springer are just like the older BSA's perfect for plinking /hunting and both are reasonably easy to get parts for incase anything should go wrong. I've two Webley Vulcans Mk 3's and they are superb starting guns as with the 3/4 BSA meteor's l have in bits from being a kid. All are easily capable of doing wheatever you want!

Tommo

Hi

For that money you could get a new "cometa 400 fenix", a very very good rifle for the price. you wont see a bad thing said about them, or get something a little better but used. Ask in the "wanted" section and see what comes up.

Cometa air rifles aren't bad for the money like you've said but they are still absolute rubbish.

Go for a decent secondhand rifle such as a BSA Lightning/Supersport or Weihrauch 95k.

But isnt that what i said? "get something a little better but used"

Hi

But isnt that what i said? "get something a little better but used"

Yes.

It was the double use of "very" that threw me!

Blowfelt

I too have heard some good things about the Cometa but you will always find those who are blinkered and have no open mind ie anything but such a thing is rubbish etc. Best to do your own research I say, take sensible advice, and not rely on blinkered opinions as they all differ. For instance, if I had listened to all those who said the QB rifles were rubbish (and never actually fired one never mind owned one) I would have missed out on one of the most pleasurable experiences of my shooting life. I accept they take a bit of TLC to get spot on but they are far from the rubbish some would have you believe they are. Given the choice of which of my rifles to keep if I was only allowed the one, the Gamo Delta would go first followed by my Air Arms S400 and I would elect to keep my tuned and customised XS78. It does exactly what the S400 does despite anything you might hear to the contrary, is far more fun and way, way cheaper.

2234821110046974964BanVkl_fs.jpg

Edited by Biffo1262

Well I've got a Cometa Fenix 400 and 220, a Weihrauch HW77k and a Webley Stingray 11 XS. All less than 5 months old. Weihrauch is by far the best but is very very heavy. However it was also over three times your budget if you include the scope. The 400 Cometa is a fab gun all round but the springs don't last that long and I haven't yet found anyone who makes replacement one that actually fits. The Webley is equally as good as the cometa but also has a built in moderator so it is slightly quieter when hunting. £150 ? Cometa Fenix 400 every time or a seccond hand Weirauch from someone you trust. :lol:

i have a cometa 300 n a cant fault it at all i shoot it everyday i did need to get it re sprung tho through my own fault tho it was left cocked n put into storage while i wrked away but its accurate i can shoot an apple off the tree by shooting the stalk seriously only trouble is my scope slides down the rails after a while but i shoot rats with mine n usually kills them out right sooo i think cometa is a good starter gun n its for 150 u will get rifle and a scope n mayb a tin of pellets so its wrth it

To help relivingmyyouth, Try John Knibbs near Birmingham for a spring

They make the Titan XS springs (which is miles better than the Cometa original) & if there isn't an "off the shelf" replacement, send them your spring & they'll take the dimensions & wind you a new one

In fact, if you send them your spring guide they will make you a new one of those too, to go with your new spring.

Steel, graphited nylon, whatever suits you best.

Don't let the airgunspares website put you off, it's still under construction, just phone them.

Peter MCN

Why not just buy a scope-stop. A little block that clamps on the dovetail behind the rearmost mount.

Butt the rear mount against the scope-stop & it can't slide backwards.

Keep your zero & the scopes don't slide off under recoil

Last one I bought about 15 months ago cost £7 quid

To help relivingmyyouth, Try John Knibbs near Birmingham for a spring

They make the Titan XS springs (which is miles better than the Cometa original) & if there isn't an "off the shelf" replacement, send them your spring & they'll take the dimensions & wind you a new one

In fact, if you send them your spring guide they will make you a new one of those too, to go with your new spring.

Steel, graphited nylon, whatever suits you best.

Don't let the airgunspares website put you off, it's still under construction, just phone them.

Thanks Stevie P, I'll give them a go :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

As everybodys said you can't go wrong with a weihrauch or a BSA. I have a HW80 which you probably aren't going to get for £150 I admit but you can get a model or two down for that, my mate has had a weihrauch since the age of 12 and he still shoots sub inch groupings at 20 metre with it and has never had a problem.

If you don't want to go second-hand then if you shop around then you can get a BSA Supersport for £150 or maybe just a tenner more

Edited by HeadShotHoncho