A day out

red_stag88

Last Sunday I had a smashing day out with the DVMH. We had three, a bitch and a brace of kits.

After that I went to wet my line in the Dove its self. I lost a lovely brownie but landed a Grayling of about a pound.

Unfortunatly no pictures but a great day out all the same.

Red

What is the DVMH?

In Stockport we now have an average stamp of grayling now of about a pound, They are all eating crayfish that is also sending the brownies up to four pound plus. No joking. and this is the river that forms the Mersey a mile down the road. All the rivers around Stockport seem on the way up, although the price that we are paying for much bigger fish is the loss of smaller coarse fish the crays seem to be feeding on the eggs. Are you or anyone else noticing this trend?

jimdfish

Yes without a doubt on parts of the upper thames I fish regularly.

The Crays are a pain in the ****. ( You wouldnt have said that in the East End of London back in the late 50,s) :lol:

last year on a small feeder of the Thames I caught 24 in one trap during 8 hours fishing. In some of the Gravel pits around here when fishing for Carp you get line bites from the ******* and they even latch on to a meat flavoured boilie and dont let go until pulled clear of the water.

I think you will find DVMH stands for Dove Valley Mink Hunt ( or Hounds)

Nice indeed to see the rivers in Stockport are on the way up, and generally in most parts of the country particularly in some industrial parts of the North and Midlands which in the 70,s were amongst the dirtiest rivers in Europe.

This is all undoubtably due to the actions of the NRA or Enironmental Agency and pressure from us Anglers and Conservationists. Well done to all.

Hi Red,

Some of my most memorable hunting was with Mink Hounds, the Colne Valley

Mink Hounds, kennelled at Slaithwaite near Huddersfield.

Unfortunately it was more "fashionable"and easier for the less hardy souls to follow the Beagles, so the Mink Hounds were eventually disbanded and are no more.

It was a great day out. I was looking in the book of catches, and in the morning a man had a two pound Grayling! :lol:

" Lady of the Stream" what a wonderful, wonderful fish RED We get them down here in the River Coln. In a fast current on light tackle they can be real scrappers with that big sail of a dorsal fin. A two pounder is a cracking fish.

• 2 weeks later...

had the opportunity to fish the river dever in hants, the one that runs past the legandary dever springs fishery, when i was in the army. it ran through the training area, so nobody except military could be on there......i had some real beauties from there. and a still to this day unexplained torpedo that totaly smashed me. in fact it tore of down the river like a bat out of hell. im convinced it was one of dever springs 100lbs ers. never seen anything like it to this day. not carp, pike, or barbel could match the speed or power.......still a wonderfull evening though :) ah memories.............

• 1 month later...
Nice indeed to see the rivers in Stockport are on the way up, and generally in most parts of the country particularly in some industrial parts of the North and Midlands which in the 70,s were amongst the dirtiest rivers in Europe.

This is all undoubtably due to the actions of the NRA or Enironmental Agency and pressure from us Anglers and Conservationists. Well done to all.

The River Cyde in Scotland is now seeing a return of salmon. Thats not down to EA or anglers but Maggie Thatcher closing down all the shipyards.

Good news for the enviroment :lol: bad news for the local workforce :lol: