Essex Masters Hepworth Hall

tosspot

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

shot on friday and had a long wait to shoot the second round,it was bloody freezing.

shot 77 on first round and 70 on second not very good although i hit most of the tough stuff on the second round.

very good targets, enjoyed it.

i talked to john dyson and next year it will probably be 2 seperate layouts shot at the same time like the classic.

Yes Banger, I shot Friday and posted a75 on the first 100, But as I reported on here I was cream crackered for the second round! after waiting over 2.5 hours like everyone I was froze to death, good shoot, testing targets, but too far , to travel now for an old bloke like me, Well done Banger, Cat, Mung. :hmm:

Well it seems that the results of those who shot well enough are on the Essex Gun site now.

Shot it yesterday and did a 75 on the first layout and a 66 on the second. Enjoyed the targets as ever and did not think the second 100 were any more difficult than the first. I put the apparent lower scores on the second layout down to fatigue, lack of concentration or boredom. Me, it was lack of concentration but if it was meant to be a doddle then there would just be a £150 high gun prize and not all those lovely guns! Loved the two teals on the second layout and most satisfaction was turning the low driven on the first layout to four clouds of black smoke Victory nines and half choke.

Cheers Boondock

******, I was 3 away from some free cartridges!

Am cursing my nerves and gay shooting on the first half.

If only.................I'd have hit another 28, I'd have taken High Gun. :hmm:

Sorry to hear about the hold ups for some on Friday, most unlike a Dyson shoot, ours ran like clockwork, we started at 9.00 and were finished by 3.00.

There were quite a few deceptive birds, but all quite killable with a standard 28 gram trap load.

But my goodness, weren't some of those pheasants living dangerously, they couldn't care less about the shot whistling past their ears..!! :hmm: I wish I'd have taken a couple of my keeper friends along, those that say "stay away from the woods when pigeon shooting, because you'll scare the pheasants", fat chance of that..??

One of the guys on my squad shot a rat that was scurrying around the river bank, (accidently of course), we all agreed it was the best bit of shooting he'd done all day..!!

Cat.

"But my goodness, weren't some of those pheasants living dangerously, they couldn't care less about the shot whistling past their ears..!! I wish I'd have taken a couple of my keeper friends along, those that say "stay away from the woods when pigeon shooting, because you'll scare the pheasants", fat chance of that..??"

Ain't that a fact, I was rifle shooting this morning (308) and three cock birds were scratching around within 30 yards of my bullet stop. It's 1" thick steel plate, and the bullet hitting it makes as much noise as the gun. On occasion one would look up, but generally they were totally disinterested.

Edited by bob300w

I dont see my 94 up there on the Essex Gun website.

I mean, honestly!!.....I pulled my ^(*^(^*&%*&% plums off to get that score. !!! :D:angry:

I only needed to score another 100 and I would have walked it.

There is always next year... :yes:

EDIT: maybe EE or SS could help me come up with some stats to show that statistically speaking I actually won it ?

Edited by LV

Nice one Andy, the one high tower I shot, The clays going from Left to right, Was doomsday for me, Only hit 3!!. but the stand which had a right to left, then a orange low going away off to the right,(down in front of the signing on tent) I only dropped 1 on that. How did lefty score?.. I am still looking for his??.

Now, imagine targets of even better quality than those at the Essex Masters, in a rugged, hilly, wooded setting, and a nice large comfortable shooting lodge, because that's what the forthcoming English Open will be like.

It's being held at West Midlands SG on 8th - 11th May, and, given good weather, could well be the best Sporting shoot of the year in terms of target quality.

It's my favourite ground, and if I was restricted to only one shoot this year, that would be my choice, I've never known them put on a duff shoot.

Cat.

Spot on again Cat, Its my favorite ground as well, as Its ony 20 miles away from me I find I allways shoot ok there as well, Tom, like his dad , allways tricks you to see what you are not allways seeing,! for instance, he puts a slight angle on clays that are further out than you think, because they are showing a bit more of their face, it seems they are 15 yards closer than they are!!, very easy to shoot miles in front. I only shoot it once a year now, (Victoryshoot) but the best ground I have shot. :yes::D