Incubators and incubating

Teal

I was just wondering what sort of hatch rates you guys get with incubators, with a silkie I was getting 100%, when I moved over to an incubator this dropped down to about 70-80%, of the fertile eggs hatching. With an incubator it was quite upsetting when a chick would develop but be unable to hatch out. Of course for the ones which hatched it was great. What procedure do you go through with the eggs, I always washed them in water and then in some antibacterial (not sure of the name but it was blue?) and then chuck and eggs which when submerged gave off bubbles of air as this meant they were cracked. Are these pinhole cracks seriously with literally very few very small bubbles, I chucked a lot of eggs like this but then again in nature I'm sure the broody hen incubates them with success.

I'd like to increase my incubating success, it has a water tray for the last few days before they hatch to raise the humidity however I always wondered -I would add eggs at delayed time intervals simply as I got them this meant that for the last few days of the humidity of the first batch it would be ok, but the other eggs were exposed to higher humidity earlier say on day 14 (or whatever). It is a combined incubator/hatcher. Is it worth buying seperate ones. The incubator takes 50 chicken eggs so isn't very large :lol:

The chicks I've had out of it include: Guineas, pheasant, turkey and bantam. :lol:

William,

There has not been an incubator built that will give you the same results as a good broody. If you are getting 80% from the set up you describe you are doing well.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing with regards to hygiene and selection of eggs.

Fluctuations in humidity are not as critical as temperature changes. The effect of increasing the humidity on the other eggs being incubated will be equalled out by a period of running dry.

Given the numbers involved a separate hatcher hardly seems worthwhile. I'd be more inclined to try and fill the incubator at one time, or at least try and match hatching dates if setting different types of egg.

Q :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

i only get problems if i dont clean to well after hatching. i also use egg disenfectant in the water. and if the kids have been opening and closeing the thing to candle daily.lol

i also use massive humidity from stop turning. 70-80% stops them getting to dry while hatching and dieing in shell..works well for me.