Ferret Bed's

ShaggyRS6

We went to see a few Rabbit hutcjes today. Pet's at home have some really nice ones, double decker with ramps, felt roof for £99. Very large too. It has its own living quaters built in, my question (for when we get one) what do I put in its bedroom and what should I lay as its carpet? <_<

Oh yeah. What do they eat? And do they just need a bowl of water? Or one of them rabbit bottle things

Cheers

Edited by ShaggyRS6

sawdust sprinkled on floor mate,could use a few diff things for bedding,straw,hay,shredded paper,or rabbit bedding from pet shop,my ferret wont have any of it ,kicks it all out ,so he s on sawdust . dont use bowl for water ,they will tip it over.get a water bottle that hangs on outside of mesh. as for food,either dried food available for ferrets,or fresh meat ,anything you shoot really. <_<

Edited by codling99

Have a look round the Free Ads, Shop window adverts etc., at secondhand hutches, or try making your own.

The quality of the ones I have seen at places like Pets R Us for about £100, are a joke.

If you want to spend that amount, it would be worth looking for someone to make you one, it would be a lot better than the ones at the pet supermarkets.

Have a look round the Free Ads, Shop window adverts etc., at secondhand hutches, or try making your own.

The quality of the ones I have seen at places like Pets R Us for about £100, are a joke.

If you want to spend that amount, it would be worth looking for someone to make you one, it would be a lot better than the ones at the pet supermarkets.

:blink: the shops WILL rob you blind best off getting some on to make one for you

or make one your self

You could try freecycle (a group who aim to keep things out of landfill by matching people who have things they don't want with people who want those things) - http://uk.freecycle.org/. I've had a couple of rabbit hutches from my local groups (Cambridge and Fenland) that my ferrets have been happy in - and they were a sight better than the £40 hutch I bought in haste from the pet supermarket!

I am very unhandy, however in the couple of years that I have had ferrets I have started to make things for them, initially sleeping boxes, and then a hutch, with the terrible one I bought from the pet supermarket as the 'top storey' in what is now a three-tier affair. On warm days, the ferrets like to go up to the top storey as the 2mm ply is a little less insulating, I suppose.

Anyone who knows anything about woodworking or carpentry would cry if they looked at my hutch (it's pretty agricultural in construction), and it has some interesting design features too, that I won't put in the mark two version (a door at the side rather than the front - brilliant! Trying to get one's seventeen stone self in to scrape out the other end of the hutch is trific fun, and on a weekly basis too). That said, it is pretty solid, and keeps the furts warm and dry, which is the main thing.

This isn't supposed to be a 'build your own!' post, just saying what I did, in circumstances that were, at the time, maybe near where yours are now. At the end of the day, yes, making my own was cheaper, and more solid, than what I bought from the pet shop - but only if you count materials, and not time, sweat, a savage learning curve and buying decent enough tools to make it etc etc! To end on a more positive note though, when I went to the game fair last year with the intention of buying a ferret carrying box, the state of the ones on sale (badly finished, sharp edges, and plenty of 'exploded' ply around airholes) was such that even with my minimal woodworking skills, having built what I'd managed to build already (one hutch, half a dozen sleeping boxes), I thought I could make something myself that I'd rather own than buy one of those available there.

And yes, I did mess that up too. A bit. But the NEXT one will be loads better... Hopefully!

I would second the Freecycle idea.

I run the Mole Valley group in Surrey and hutches come up on a weekly basis. 2 or 3 rabbit hutches (ferret proofed) and joined together would make a nice hutch.

Regarding using a water bowl. Simple answer to that is DONT. It will last about 30 seconds before it gets used as a bath/tipped up/flicked about or full of food/sawdust/straw.

We have two large bottle feeders which get refreshed on alternate days. That way there is always water for them.

Try to get the biggest hutch you can. You owe it to your workers and they really do appreciate the space. large enough to get in and clean it out is best.

64394oz.jpg