Gun Glare

Cosd

If I pigeon is close enough to see its reflection it ought to be dead :rolleyes:

You say that, but a friend of mine was walking on the other end of the field a couple of weeks back, and he looked like he was holding a mirror.

His barrels were gleaming in the sun!

Be very careful with cammo tape, unless you want it to be permanently fixed on your barrels.

There is some very aggressive stuff for sale, it would be wise to test it on some metal first, just to see if it comes off OK and what sort of mess it leaves.

The barrel sleeve is a better option, if you really think you need it.

You can have your barrels matt blacked instead of blued which most gunsmiths will do nowadays or you could buy a camo gun sock both options OK if you have a good/expensive gun. However if it's just a cheapy or you have no real affection for it you can wrap it in tape, there are special ones like 'No Mar' that will come off without leaving (too) much mess.

You're right though, bright steel or shiny blued barrels can shine like the proverbial in sunlight, especially at this time of year when the sun is low in the sky. A high shine sparkle will put Woody off as much as anything else so get to grips with it.

I've used cammo tape on 2 of my shotguns. It can take a few minutes to clean the barrels after you take it off, but there has been no marks or problems with it. One of my guns had the tape on for over a year. My biggest gripe with it is, it starts to fray very slightly on the edges, usually on the end of the barrel ,and a piece of cotton stuck up ,when you look down the barrel can be distracting.

You can have your barrels matt blacked instead of blued which most gunsmiths will do nowadays or you could buy a camo gun sock both options OK if you have a good/expensive gun. However if it's just a cheapy or you have no real affection for it you can wrap it in tape, there are special ones like 'No Mar' that will come off without leaving (too) much mess.

You're right though, bright steel or shiny blued barrels can shine like the proverbial in sunlight, especially at this time of year when the sun is low in the sky. A high shine sparkle will put Woody off as much as anything else so get to grips with it.

Firstly, thanks to everyone for the replies so far.

Highlander, regarding the 'matt blacking' by a gunsmith; I have quite a few contacts in the car paint game, so I'm guessing that if this 'matt blacking' is done that my friends would do just as good a job if not better? Or is this some special process which gunsmiths have?

OMG if it's a spray paint job you're looking at I really hope it's a cheap unloved gun! No the process I'm talking about is a chemical reaction same as blueing it's just that the end result is matt black. You get the same on some hunting rifles.

:w00t: My mistake I was guessing at the method the gunsmith might use when you talked about the matt black.

OK scrap that idea.

I think I might try taking my gun to local gunshop and see what the covers look and feel like.

Next option, the cam tape maybe

• 1 month later...

I had a noeprene cover for my barrels. It slipped down the other night while out rabbit shooting and splayed out like on the cartooons :blink:

I was wondering why I was missing loads until I noticed it.

The farmer took me out on his John deere gator round the headlands. It was FFFF FREEZING, but I haven't had so much fun, it was great and still shot about 40.

Neoprene cover is good, but watch it doesn't slip down :good: