getting desperate now

FBF

two weeks ago i bathed my dog, immediatly the next time he goes out he finds the fox **** and rolls around in it. this is a dead cert everytime! now my puppy has got in on the act. except she is doing it every day. now i know if you wash your dog too often they will do this but im in a bad place where i cant have these dogs bringing fox **** in to the house.. and i have to clean it off, im seriously pi$$ed off with the puppy at the moment and need some guidance..

This is a difficult one, as the best chance you have of stopping it is to catch them doing it.

If it happens on walks, then keep them on a lead , even if this means taking them out separately.

As soon as you see them go near anything shout, "leave it" and be prepared to pull their head away.

Eventually, they may inspect it when off the lead, but they won't roll in it.

This has worked for me.

If its in the garden, then you are going to have to get out before the dogs and clear it up before they get to it.

NTTF may have some other thoughts, as well.

You are right, repeated washing of your dog is not a good idea, but a bit of localised bathing is not too bad.

Use a dab of tea tree dog shampoo that masks smells quite well.

I would exercise the pup separately for a while so that you can give it your full attention, on a check cord, when it shows an interest in fox or any other nasty smelling piles allow it to get to within a yard, so that the pup is committed to the act and you know that its about to do the deed, then stop it with a stern reprimand. As time goes by stop it earlier and earlier it will very soon get the idea, but be alert and be consistent.

It must associate the reprimand with the act, if it is free running and commits the crime before you can stop it dont call it back but chase after it immediately to tell it off, under no circumstances must you punish the dog when it returns to you or it will not associate the reprimand with rolling in the mess but may think its being punished for returning to you which will start another problem.

I hope this helps.

:w00t: D2D

D2D has given you the exercise to work with and it will solve the problem if you keep on it. If you find that you still need to wash the dog frequently while getting this under control, use straight water and no soap, or a very mild soap such as baby shampoo. This will keep the coat from drying out excessively. If you do find that the skin is getting itchy or the coat dull you can supliment her natural oils by adding a cod liver oil tablet ...or straight oil, about a teaspoon....to her meals.

NTTF

Hi FBF,

I gather that your problem has somehow to do with the place you live and that you are looking for an immediate solution?

Is your pup running away from you after rolling in stuff? so you cant tell her off/ reprimand her? I suggest (if this is the case) to put her on a long lead and pulling her off and reprimanding her there and then !

right thanks everyone. i was told to never chase the dog or it will learn that it can get away from you... is that right?

oddly enough its not happened since the last time as i saw her having a roll in the field from the house and had a shout at her, hopefully that will help too. its never when we are out but when she is roaming alone

this forum is a blessing though.. all good advice

right thanks everyone. i was told to never chase the dog or it will learn that it can get away from you... is that right?

oddly enough its not happened since the last time as i saw her having a roll in the field from the house and had a shout at her, hopefully that will help too. its never when we are out but when she is roaming alone

Dont call the dog to you, just walk calmly but quickly, catch the dog by the scruff and keeping its front paws off the ground take it back to the scene of the crime, reseat it scold it, job done, no fuss, no excited waving of arms.

Mentally the dog associates being "carried" by the scruff of the neck with its puppyhood and this asserts your top dog status.

Caution though if you cant achieve this within a few minutes forget the incident and just move on, the dog will certainly have.

:blink: D2D

I caught my terrier doing this nasty trick so I rubbed her face in it and told her off, she then had a smile from ear to ear for my assistace with her dirty business :blink:

my terrier used to do the same the worst one being in human poo where some fisherman had nipped through the hedge from a local pond and she found it and rolled straight away. Was one of the worst experiences I can remember having to get her into the car to take her home and bath her, She stank even after she had been bunged in the fishing pond :lol:

my terrier used to do the same the worst one being in human poo where some fisherman had nipped through the hedge from a local pond and she found it and rolled straight away. Was one of the worst experiences I can remember having to get her into the car to take her home and bath her, She stank even after she had been bunged in the fishing pond :lol:

My lab wouldn't waste good human feaces by rolling in it... she much prefers to eat it :good: but at least the car doesn't stink on the way home :blink:

Dont call the dog to you, just walk calmly but quickly, catch the dog by the scruff and keeping its front paws off the ground take it back to the scene of the crime, reseat it scold it, job done, no fuss, no excited waving of arms.

Mentally the dog associates being "carried" by the scruff of the neck with its puppyhood and this asserts your top dog status.

Caution though if you cant achieve this within a few minutes forget the incident and just move on, the dog will certainly have.

:lol: D2D

right thanks D2D i will take that advice on board sounds spot on. now then, what with you being a kent local any chance of taking me out when i get my first shotgun?... :blink: not having any luck with permissions here at all

:lol: D2D

right thanks D2D i will take that advice on board sounds spot on. now then, what with you being a kent local any chance of taking me out when i get my first shotgun?... :blink: not having any luck with permissions here at all

PM me when you have your shottie and we will go from there, what are you getting?

Did you ever tell us what breed of dog you have?

:good: D2D

i have a 7 month german pointer, shorthaired. she is showing great potential and is keen to retrieve. taking my time to train her thoroughly.

as for the shotgun ive been looking at the webley and scott 1000 series. fancy the game gun as its a little lighter but the auto safty is putting me off.. liking the lifetime warrenty though... failing that something secondhand around the 4-500 mark.. just a matter of finding the right gun..