Ferret Breeding

ShaggyRS6

Yeah im also after a pair of kits, and having the same trouble trying to find any at the moment.

Still.... i guess it gives you something to look forward to untill some do turn up.

All the best.

Ps. Oh and if you do find anyone who has a litter for sale, can you let me know, as im local to you and would also be interested.

Thanks,

R.

from reading the above posts, no disrespect, but sounds like your newish to keeping ferrets, take this time before the breeding season kicks in, to prepare yourselves, read as many ENGLISH books as possible, usa one's are only into pets and give lots of false information, make your choice's on hutch or court system, and get building, try to get everything sorted out in the next couple of months, so when the kitts are plentiful, your all set to get started

I would always suggest getting your first ferrets from a worker/breeder, as we tend to have alot of contact with our ferrets, handle everyday and no biters, feed on what they should be feed on, rabbit, you will also find and see the parents, can see there nature, be told of their grandparents even,

later as more experience is gained, extra ferrets can be picked up from homing centre's or free ad's, not much knowledge on their nature, but being more experienced yourselves, this wont be a problem,

if you have no luck in finding a breeder close to you, give me a pm and Ill tell you what kitts i have in a few months time, prehaps you could get over to essex together and split petrol cost's

here's a picture of a few of last years kitts

post-3731-1201103895.jpg

OK, I have been offered 1 Adult Hob in Silver, he is from working sock and has NOT had the snip. Rookie, I did ask if there was anymore and there is not until this guy's Ferts have Kits. He is local to us so ill put you in contact when they are available if you so wish. By all accounts the Ferts that come from this chap are all good. I can have the Fert as early as Sunday.

My question is about this Hob. Its from last years kits and does not bite. My concerns are below, perhaps someone can advise, as I dont know if the concerns are founded.

1. I was advised to go or 2 Jills, am I doing the right thing buying a Hob? It is a no biter.

2. I have read that Ferts should not be kept alone. Is this true? If so I am assuming that I could get 2 Jills when hey ae ready and get he Hob Castrated? I know lots of people are using 2 Jills 1 Hob. I guess my concern is he will be on his on for 3 months or so.

3. Will this cage b big enough for 3? Remember I am a lazy ******* who cant/wot build his own. http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dep...&pf_id=6934

4. Anything else I should consider?

if your getting the hob first, then there really is no need for 2 jills, 1 would be fine, if the hob is staying with the jill, get the hob vesectamised NOT castrated, make sure your clear on that when asking vets, lots of vets castrate after being told to "give the snip"

reason being, a castrated hob, may not get the urge to mate the jill (no ********) meaning he aint gonna bring her outta season, a vesectamised hob will

the only time you may need to seperate them, is if in breeding season, he's giving it to her too much, "bite's back of neck" and if too much skin is broken, infection can get in, bath area with salt water solution etc, split them up till her vulva reduces (out of season,) the re-introduce the male

now, have you realised that you need to buy 2 cages, as if this problem arrises, where's the hob gonna stay??

thats why making cages is far better/cheaper

so,

do you have transport??

if so, I'll offer to build you the cage, you buy the wood/ply and bring over to me one sunday, we build it, you take it home, dont worry bout mesh, got tonnes of the stuff :good:

that cage looks small to me, but its like everything, others will say its fine, a hob and jill living in it will be fine, as your gonna be playing/working them also, 3 ferrets in there may be pushing it a bit, remember 3 = lots ****, will need to be cleaned out daily, as much as everyone with that type cage would prefer the ferts to use bottom half as toilet, its down to them where the go,