4yr old lab

dafydd1983

After replying to an advert in a magazine, i found out the dog i was after had gone, but the gent then explained he had a couple of other dogs he was willing to part with. He mentioned a Black Lab Dog, 4 yrs old, very steady, used for picking up, wildfowling and pigeon shooting. He said that the dog had been castrated as a pup due to a growth, and therefore he is willing to part with the dog for a very reasonable price as he cant use it for stud. I was just wondering what are your views on aquiring a dog of this age are? Bonding with him? would he work for me? Im going to see him this weekend. Any views welcome!!

After replying to an advert in a magazine, i found out the dog i was after had gone, but the gent then explained he had a couple of other dogs he was willing to part with. He mentioned a Black Lab Dog, 4 yrs old, very steady, used for picking up, wildfowling and pigeon shooting. He said that the dog had been castrated as a pup due to a growth, and therefore he is willing to part with the dog for a very reasonable price as he cant use it for stud. I was just wondering what are your views on aquiring a dog of this age are? Bonding with him? would he work for me? Im going to see him this weekend. Any views welcome!!

Hi Daf, If the dog is of good working stock there is no reason why he should not work for you, BUT before you commit to him have a thorough demo of his capabilities on the whistle, steadiness is a must if you would like a few simple dummy exercises to test him then PM me.

Some picking up dogs used on commercial shoots are spoilt by the sheer amount of work they have to do and can "hot up" to the extent of losing steadiness.

The fact that he was castrated is not an issue but just watch out that he is not overweight. Being from a working background he may be ok but many labs do put on the pounds after the snip.

If you like the look of him, he handles well and you only want him for a bit of roughshooting then go for it, give him a chance.

:lol: D2D

Thanks for that D2D, im going on sunday il take my dummy launcher, the owner has stated he'l give me a full demo of commands etc, so im hoping for the best!

Dont be afraid of writing notes, Food type,worming etc. you may not remember half the info he tells you when you get home, note carefully the whistle number he has used 211 1/2 or maybe 210 are popular, when you buy one get two :huh:

Good luck I hope it works out for you.

:good: D2D

Quick update! I went to view the lab on sunday, he did everything he was told to do, walk to heel, drop to whistle, sent on blind retrieves, multiple retrives, water retrieves, so to say i was impressed is an under statement! He's not the biggest of labs and has been worked all season therefore not fat at all. I shook hands with his owner and il be picking him up in a couple of weeks when i get back off my holiday! still on the promise that i can return him if for any reason he doesnt settle. pics will be up when he arrives! cheers for the advice

Quick update! I went to view the lab on sunday, he did everything he was told to do, walk to heel, drop to whistle, sent on blind retrieves, multiple retrives, water retrieves, so to say i was impressed is an under statement! He's not the biggest of labs and has been worked all season therefore not fat at all. I shook hands with his owner and il be picking him up in a couple of weeks when i get back off my holiday! still on the promise that i can return him if for any reason he doesnt settle. pics will be up when he arrives! cheers for the advice

I sincerely hope he does mate. See if you can get yourself a 30 minute lesson to learn the owners body language/stance when giving the lab orders as it will make all the difference :good:

LB

I sincerely hope he does mate. See if you can get yourself a 30 minute lesson to learn the owners body language/stance when giving the lab orders as it will make all the difference :lol:

LB

That is the best bit of advice you have had sofar.:mad: You have to be the boss. Get your body lanuage right and the dog will do what you ask of him.

TC

• 2 weeks later...