What Trap Cartridges?

Welshways

Hi all,

I have just resumed clay shooting again after 10 years absence, excuse was too busy at work. Now semi retired and have plenty of time.

From my earlier days I had a few hundred cartridges left which are now nearly all gone and I am bewildered at what to buy now.

The last cartridges I had were Winchester trap 100 which I got on with quite well but cannot get these from my local gunshop.

Unfortunately the gunshop will just recommend what they have too much stock of which often are pretty poor e.g. Aquilla.

I like a fast cartridge not costing the earth, something at least 1450 fps and plastic wads preferred. I tried some fibre wads and would have hit more clays with an air rifle!

The other complaint with dealers and cartridge manufactures is that cartridge velocity seems to be a closely guarded secret. Is there a list of speeds available anywhere for various cartridges?

Can anyone recommend cartridges for ABT and long range sporting etc?

Hi all,

I have just resumed clay shooting again after 10 years absence, excuse was too busy at work. Now semi retired and have plenty of time.

From my earlier days I had a few hundred cartridges left which are now nearly all gone and I am bewildered at what to buy now.

The last cartridges I had were Winchester trap 100 which I got on with quite well but cannot get these from my local gunshop.

Unfortunately the gunshop will just recommend what they have too much stock of which often are pretty poor e.g. Aquilla.

I like a fast cartridge not costing the earth, something at least 1450 fps and plastic wads preferred. I tried some fibre wads and would have hit more clays with an air rifle!

The other complaint with dealers and cartridge manufactures is that cartridge velocity seems to be a closely guarded secret. Is there a list of speeds available anywhere for various cartridges?

Eley VIP 24g,RC4 24g, or if you have lotsamoney B+P Flash. :rolleyes:

Hi all,

Eley VIP 24g,RC4 24g, or if you have lotsamoney B+P Flash. :D

Would prefer 28g, but how much per 1000 are the VIP or RC4? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your advice folks.

I have checked prices on Just Cartridges website and from there links to manufacturers websites.

Apart from Eley most manufacturers do not publish muzzle velocity so it is hard to judge what to buy.

I would have thought that someone would have prepared a list of this which is quite a critical factor in clay shooting.

Regarding fibre wads, I have not tried these for many years so possibly they are better now than they were then, fairly pathetic.

Also I notice that Winchester still make Trap 100, but don't know if these are the same spec as those I used 10 years ago.

If anybody can point me to a list of cartridge speeds I would be grateful.

Thanks again

Gamebore list there speeds,i have been using the white gold xlr and the blue diamonds,both in fibre,both good cartriges

Same here: Gamebore White Gold XLR.

I'm not saying they are the best shell out there, but will outshoot all but the top performers.

Decent price, around £150+, soft on the shoulder, pattern nicely, and I've had good downrange kills with them. Great kills on skeet, and decent 2nd barrel kills on Trap.

About 1400 fps with around 3% antimony stuff.

Our club sell a couple of thousand per shoot.

Pirate:

I often wonder if the performance of a given shell is really of any relevence to the average shooter.

I have had a good look through the 'empty shell skip' on several occasions, and can usually find over 25 different shells.

The reasons shooters choose their shells must therefore vary widely. confused0006.gif

I've seen average shooters using 'top flight shells', and has made little difference to their scores, and I've seen very good shots, using any shell available, and they still score highly.

Judging by what I have seen over the last 30+ years, I would say, that only the best performers would benefit from

carefull shell selection, without considering, cost, availability, recoil, etc.

And the vast majority of shooters, spend more than they need to, in the hope that the shell itself will make them a better shot. fighting0035.gif

Pirate:

Judging by what I have seen over the last 30+ years, I would say, that only the best performers would benefit from

carefull shell selection, without considering, cost, availability, recoil, etc.

And the vast majority of shooters, spend more than they need to, in the hope that the shell itself will make them a better shot. fighting0035.gif

Pirate:

Yup, I've got to agree with you on that one. Quality shells make very little difference to the average to goodish club shooter. If you get up to go-faster competition level, then it might make the difference with the odd clay, which is important at that level, otherwise, I don't think you'd notice. I use all sorts of **** :lol: and on the occasions when I've got my hands on some good cartridges, I haven't noticed a blind bit of difference :good:

• 3 weeks later...

One of the main reasons that Manufacturers don't list speeds is because people get hung up thinking speed is better. They would rather you buy them because they work, than on a speed rating.

The best trap cartridges that have the highest consistent breaking performance are actually comparatively slow. These fast cartridges tend to "blow" the pattern and create a long cone shaped cloud with a comet leading front and a hollow tail of shot streaming back behind. This comes because only the centre pattern runs at the high velocity, the pellets on the side of the pattern run slower.

This messy pattern has holes and wasted pellets out the side.

If you slow the velocity down to about 1250 - 1300 fps the pattern quality improves dramatically with a well formed pellet cloud, and few stranglers and streamers. 90% of the pattern will cause a break. Many of the world renowned Trap brands with no speed ratings are around these speeds.

Lighter cartridges also give less fatigue, many shooters whom progress discover that 24g outperform 28g. Why? Recoil over 100 targets effects performance, and less recoil means higher scores.

Certainly true for me, I consistently put in higher scores with 24g cheapest Express.

If you believe speed is better, you are still using equipment as an excuse for a lack of skill. If you put the shot from a sub-conic ( 1050 fps) in the right place it will break a clay out tp 50 yds

By cheap slow cartridges and spend the saving with a good coach. See your scores go up!

Clayman

One of the main reasons that Manufacturers don't list speeds is because people get hung up thinking speed is better. They would rather you buy them because they work, than on a speed rating.

The best trap cartridges that have the highest consistent breaking performance are actually comparatively slow. These fast cartridges tend to "blow" the pattern and create a long cone shaped cloud with a comet leading front and a hollow tail of shot streaming back behind. This comes because only the centre pattern runs at the high velocity, the pellets on the side of the pattern run slower.

This messy pattern has holes and wasted pellets out the side.

If you slow the velocity down to about 1250 - 1300 fps the pattern quality improves dramatically with a well formed pellet cloud, and few stranglers and streamers. 90% of the pattern will cause a break. Many of the world renowned Trap brands with no speed ratings are around these speeds.

Lighter cartridges also give less fatigue, many shooters whom progress discover that 24g outperform 28g. Why? Recoil over 100 targets effects performance, and less recoil means higher scores.

Certainly true for me, I consistently put in higher scores with 24g cheapest Express.

If you believe speed is better, you are still using equipment as an excuse for a lack of skill. If you put the shot from a sub-conic ( 1050 fps) in the right place it will break a clay out tp 50 yds

By cheap slow cartridges and spend the saving with a good coach. See your scores go up!

Clayman

I have to agree with this view. who wants to gettign around to your last 2 stands and everytime you put the gun in your sholder its shaking and moving all over the place.

i use 24g low recoil shells. but i also carry a 25 or so 30g for the long distance shots. it may or maynot hit them any better but i just belive that i can hit them more. but for 90% of targets on a ground 24g will brake them just fine.

i think it would be good to see what shell poeple like the most if say you took 20 shooters gave them 100 shells all mixed with no logos or marking on let them have a round of 100 and see which one they like the most.

I would bet that one one shell would come out on top.

Edited by sparkymark