First Time Ferreting On Meh Own

ShaggyRS6

Well we picked up "Brian" this morning, a lovely looking Silver Hob. Stinks like a toilet, but I am sure we will get ued to that. He is very gentle, myself and the boy have been picking him up all day, the chap we got him from shoved his fingers in his mouth just to prove it is gentle, be a few weeks before we attempt that one :good:

We had to move the hutch from the back garden into the front. I had a feeling my ESS would go mental when he clapped eyes on it. The missus, although loving the fact that she could see the Fert from the kitchen hated the fact that every 2 mins she had to clear up the dribble from Aero that was being left on the floor by the conservatory doors, also the constent whining to get out and bark at the Fert was driving her mad, even a nip on the nose through the bars which drew blood did not put him off. So until he gets used to him the Fert is in the front garden :good:

So out we went at 14:00. Shoved him down a hole myself and LB worked last Sunday. he was down the Warrn for ages, 2 hours to be precise. It was all a learning curve for us and many texts later to LB we had him back in the box. I thkn the reason he was down for so long was 1. Because he was working it on its own, and 2. 10 Mins before he decided to come out he flushed 2 wabbits, by this time I had given up myself and put the gun away :lol: I could see by son getting really upset as he did not think he was comming back, but following LB's advice, we put the box next to a hole I had dug to make the entrance bigger and he came out straight into the box knakered.

We nearly caught him once before he got into the box, he came out very wary, my son walked toward him and his back arched and he kind of gave a his a a lurch forward and run off :lol: LB said they normally get wound up after hunting. Once he was back in the box he was as docile as anything.

So, 2 hours, no Rabbits, but some great lessons. Thanks LB for the exchange of text messages. cant wait to get out again, I do need another Fert though, that much is obvious. :lol:

The piccie below is from the previous owner. i will get some good ones in true shaggy style tomorrow.

post-3795-1201461168.jpg

Beautiful looking, i mean 'manly', hob you have there! :good:

Whish i could find one lol, sore a couple for sale near london, but decided it was to far to go...

All the best with him, im sure you will get to grips with it all shortly.

R.

So out we went at 14:00. Shoved him down a hole myself and LB worked last Sunday.
:lol:
he was down the Warrn for ages, 2 hours to be precise. It was all a learning curve for us
I thkn the reason he was down for so long was 1. Because he was working it on its own, :good: and 2. 10 Mins before he decided to come out he flushed 2 wabbits,
:good::lol:

Sounds to me that you have a good worker there. :lol: A few words of advice that you may have sussed already. DO NOT work a warren 2 weeks running IMHO it is asking for trouble. That is probably why he took 2 hrs to bolt the rabbits, but well done him for getting them to bolt.

A word of advice this ferret knows it's job if he stays down, there are rabbits in the warren . If he comes out after a few minutes then move on as there are no rabbits in that warren.

TC

It sounds very much like he was on the rabbits and trying to turn them from a stop end. Although some people dislike them this is where my ferret finder is worth it's weight in gold as I would much rather dig the rabbits out if they are in a stop and then move onto the next bury. I do like to give the ferret a while though before I start to dig. :unsure: Remember, it's easy to ruin a warren if the holes are not back filled properly.

All the best with your new ferret.

FM :blush:

When funds allow, get a locator! At least if the ferret has not been seen you can check to see if it is moving. You never know you may be lucky and rather than a two hour wait your ferret may only be 2 feet down. 10 mins of spade work and the ferret is safely returned and bunnies can be removed from the stop.

It sounds like your ferret knows his business, a little tip. let him come all the way out of the hole before trying to pick him up, you need to be patient the first few times you do this. however it is worth doing as if you try to pick them up too soon you can make them skulk,(run back down the hole while playing catch me if you can which is great fun for the ferret but very time consuming if no bunnies at home).

Nevertheless sounds like you had a good day out, and with experience the bunnies will copme too.

All the best.

GSAW

When funds allow, get a locator! At least if the ferret has not been seen you can check to see if it is moving. You never know you may be lucky and rather than a two hour wait your ferret may only be 2 feet down. 10 mins of spade work and the ferret is safely returned and bunnies can be removed from the stop.

It sounds like your ferret knows his business, a little tip. let him come all the way out of the hole before trying to pick him up, you need to be patient the first few times you do this. however it is worth doing as if you try to pick them up too soon you can make them skulk,(run back down the hole while playing catch me if you can which is great fun for the ferret but very time consuming if no bunnies at home).

Nevertheless sounds like you had a good day out, and with experience the bunnies will copme too.

All the best.

GSAW

I think that was our mistake then. As soon as the Ferret popped his head out we were running to get it. When we left it well alone, it got in its box.

It hissed at my son a couple of times this evening, he had him on the front lawn and was allowing him to run 2 foot then pulling him back. he got rather p*****d off with that.

Once they are used to you they will chill out. Remember it must be very exciting to be chasing rabbits!

Ours will come over to us if we call them, not all the time but often enough. It also helps if you make a certain sound when you feed them and then repeat that in the field. Conditions them to thinking you are going to feed them.

There was one time when my two best workers came out of a hole, I squeaked at them and pointed to another hole and believe it or not they both looked at me and then ran over to the other hole and disappeared down it. I can assure you this was luck not skill but I must admit it looked sooo damn good :-)

/Mad

Yeah, i told my boy slowly slowly....... It needs to get used to us. Infact already he he comes bounding upto the front of the cage when Jordan appears and lets him pick him straight up, he is a bit more cagey with me.

I gave him a couple of Rabbits kidneys today as a treat :good: he seemed to like that.

All the best.

GSAW

I think that was our mistake then. As soon as the Ferret popped his head out we were running to get it. When we left it well alone, it got in its box.

It hissed at my son a couple of times this evening, he had him on the front lawn and was allowing him to run 2 foot then pulling him back. he got rather p*****d off with that.

So would you Lee :good:

Once they are used to you they will chill out. Remember it must be very exciting to be chasing rabbits!

Ours will come over to us if we call them, not all the time but often enough. It also helps if you make a certain sound when you feed them and then repeat that in the field. Conditions them to thinking you are going to feed them.

There was one time when my two best workers came out of a hole, I squeaked at them and pointed to another hole and believe it or not they both looked at me and then ran over to the other hole and disappeared down it. I can assure you this was luck not skill but I must admit it looked sooo damn good :-)

/Mad

The squeaker thing is a good one. Once the fret has associated it with a treat it will come running, or at least should, but don't quote me on that :)

TC once told me that when I was feeding the ferrets, throw the food well back in the court, and say 'back'.

That way the quick learners, and the ones to keep, went back on the command and he was right :oops:

LB

shaggy, if you put him down a hole and he re-appears after a couple of minutes, dont move onto another warren as suggested, knowing that ferret (magwitch's) he works very well, let him come totally out of the hole, 9 times outta 10, he will walk to the next and go straight down again, keep quite whilst doing this, see if you can hear any thumping of back feet underground (rabbit distress), always work from the lowest hole, upwards, when we work warrens, we leave it a good month before returning, gives the smell of ferrets a chance to wear off, maximising more rabbits, nothing worst that a 2hour wait for 1 rabbit

you definatly need a locator mate, after spending all that money on hutch, cover etc, it would be a shame to lose him, as he's a good worker,