big worry

digger

whilst walking my eleven month old lab this evening,on the lead,she was covered by a very keen and agressive german shepherd dog.the bloody thing came from out of the blue and in my blind state of kicking,pulling,swearing panic im not 100% sure if the ****** was able to do the buisness.she was petrified and kept lying down submissively and was not impressed.

she came out of season a week ago so can she still fall pregnant ? my ignorance shows so any advice would be welcome.

p.s. the couple who owned the dog found it funny :<

til i punched the husband :)

not proud of the fact but at least my dog is well behaved.

Digger

If she is definitely out of her season she will be fine. Did the two dogs tie. If they did and you think she may still be in season take her to the vets first thing tomorrow and he can give an injection to neutralise the things, it will start her season again though.

Jeff

Digger

A bitch is in season usually for three weeks, the optimum time for a successful mating is normally between the 11th and 13th day although successful matings have taken place as late as the 18th day, but this is rare. If the dogs had tied they would have been stuck together, back to back for 20 - 30 minutes.

If your dog fits any of this there could be a risk of pregnancy, if you need reassurance see your vet, if there is a real risk of pregnancy you only have about 72 hours from the time of the mating in which to get her the injection.

From what you say it is unlikely she is pregnant but it is your call.

One other point, you say your dog was pertified, this is probably due to your actions as she has probably never seen you like that before. She would not understand you were acting on her behalf, just that you were frightening. I would certainly take her out again to the same place and ensure good things happen to her, include meeting other dogs if possible. If she shows any sign of being worried don't over fuss her just engage her in some activity she enjoys.

Hope this helps.

Jeff