Hanging pheasant...

Tony9r

Had my first pheasant shoot on Saturday, where 10 of us took it in turns to stand and beat. I managed to take down 5 pheasants and 1 woodcock :unsure:

At the end of a completely enjoyable day, we were each given a brace of pheasants.

My question is, do I hang them from the neck, or from the legs as I have had differing answers?... also I was told that 4 - 5 day's hanging would be fine, does this sound about right for the temperatures at the mo?

I think it's down to personal taste really... the longer you hang the stronger they taste generally. Personally I only hang for two or three days if the temperature is below 10 degrees or so... if it's warmer then only a day.

Last year it was so warm in October at the beginning of the season they were going green in 4 days. Some people like them like that.... not me! :unsure:

Ideally you want to get the temperature down as quickly as possible too. The longer they spend at body temperature post mortem the faster the bacteria get stuck in, by several orders of magnitude!

Oh and I hang by the neck too!

Edited by alexm

• 1 month later...

Hanging adds flavour/gaminess and tenderises the meat. The flavour is basically the innards beginning to turn so you can understand why some people don't like it.

A side of good beef gets hung for a month, possibly more, by a butcher. Don't know about supermarket offerings?

• 3 weeks later...

Don't hang rabbits though..........

Last summer hung one up in the garage more to keep it off the floor than anything else, totally forgot about it, I have an awful memory........After a week I noticed a very bad smell in the garage but didn't think twice about it.

Fast forward another week and showing a family round the house which is for sale.........Daughter notices rabbit hung up and screams it's moving!!!! Do I need to elaborate here? Lets just say when I removed to bin it the smell was making me gip.

• 7 months later...