Fourtrack - any good?

Bryn

Thinking of buying a 4x4 to go shooting in, will need to drive it 6 miles to my shoot then it would be used off road.

I have seen a fourtrack 1988 2.0 diesel (van) type with 11 months mot. Price £600.

It apparently has had one owner from new 140k on clock. Some rust on drivers door but overall looks tidy.

Is this a good deal?

What shall i look for?

How do i test the 4 wheel drive?

Any advise thankfully received. :good:

The foutrak has a good reputation, the only problem IMO with a vehicle of this age is the bill you COULD get hit with next year getting it through its MOT - assuming you have another car at the moment and given it's such a short distance to your shoot is there anyway you can avoid having to take it on the road then the MOT becomes irrelevant?

as far as I know they didn't do a 2.0 diesel, they were either 2.8d or 2.0 petrol which you definitely don't want.

Pull up the rear carpet and check you can't see the road, other than that check 2nd gear is smooth as the gearboxes prettu much all suffered from a loose main shaft nut at that age. After that just do all the usual checks for oil burning and electrics etc.

Thinking of buying a 4x4 to go shooting in, will need to drive it 6 miles to my shoot then it would be used off road.

I have seen a fourtrack 1988 2.0 diesel (van) type with 11 months mot. Price £600.

It apparently has had one owner from new 140k on clock. Some rust on drivers door but overall looks tidy.

Is this a good deal?

What shall i look for?

How do i test the 4 wheel drive?

Any advise thankfully received. :good:

I had one from new in 1999 .It never missed a beat in 4 years and 50,000 miles .2.8 diesel is the one to have . My only complaint with the car was it was a bit small inside and only had three doors . Although enough room for a red stag in back . I needed more room so am know driving an es disco . When i sold the fourtrack it retained 60% of its original value .

Yes a very good all round car . Harnser .

I bought one two weeks ago off Fleabay - good price, MOT'd till Oct and taxed till July drives great and everything works as it should - I think! One word of warning - they are loud beasts and it may be fun to start with but on a long run (more than your 6 miles) begins to irritate - I drove mine home over 500 miles. Never gave me any concerns throughout the drive home other than a sore ****. :lol::lol::lol:

Had it up the farm today and did a bit of 4wd stuff on the hill - no problems - nothing seemed a bother to it. If you put Daihatsu Fourtrack on Fleabay just now, you will get 3 pages of stuff. I think it is on the 2nd or 3rd page there is an advert for a 2litre petrol one with low milage and only one previous owner - price is good right now :good:

Pushkin. B)

I've got a M reg 2.8 diesel fourtrak and will keep it until it breathes it's last - fantastic motor for shooters.

Zapp

These are generally the ones to go for just watch for the tin worm. I've got one and it has got a few rust issues not too bad but I'll need to tidy them up this summer but mechanically its great. i swapped the shocks and springs when I got it to freshen it up changed the brakes and other than that its just needed basic servicing. i really need to change the front discs that I believe are original as I can't spot any on the computerised service records that show a change of pads every 30K but no discs. Not bad as she ticked over to 140K today

I have heard that the petrol versions are very thirsty. :good:

yep and the price difference in the derv and petrol models is a pretty wide divide.. i wouldnt touch a petrol one

id say any diesel with full mot that runs for 600 quid is good value. even if you have to scrap it after the mot runs out thats still only £50 a month thats it'll cost you... thats cheap motoring

I bought my k reg 2.8tdl fourtrack with 75k on the clock and all previous mot's to validate mileage 8 months ago for a grand. It came fitted with a nearly new set of AT tyres and a full ticket. I think its excellent! 30 ish to a gallon and room for all my shooting cr*p plus it will go just about anywhere offroad.

Ive driven many landrovers in the mob and although i really hankered after one before i bought the fourtrack i was realistic in what sort of landy i would get for a grand :good: The fourtrack will also do motorway speeds and the wingmirrors are ideal for shooting off with a little padding..

Edited by luckytrigger