? Laser Sights?

Millsy

Advice required please.

I`m still fairly new to shooting & noticed a topic regarding lasers. Are they used in pigeon/rabbit shooting,or just for targets?

Do they give greater accuracy when used together with telescopic sights? I aint not got a clue. Looking for some unbiased advise if anyone can help. I know I could ask at the gunshop, but I`m a sucker for a sale :good:

My main air rifle is an HW100S with a Hawke Nite-Eye 3-12+50 sight. (Site came with a Webley I bought 2nd hand)

Thanks people

I guess you could say they give better accuracy, but only because they can help you judge range more effectively.

You need to go looking for a program called "Chairgun" on t'internet. It's got a setting on there that allows you to "put" a laser on your setup so that you can see what I mean, but basically, if the dot is above the target, then you are closer to the target than your zero. If it is below, then you are further away.

However, it is _not_ your point of aim*, it's just an aid to distance gauging.

* - It is very close to the ballistic arc at points, but between zeros, it is way out and the pellet drops off a lot quicker after zero.

Wookie

I used one on my old S16 to good effect. You have two real options of use. You can set it up to give you a POI at a known distance or you can use it for range finding.

I would imagine the best result for POI would be at closer ranges used for say ratting. For this though, you would be best to set the unit closer to the barrel to maximise on the KZ at your chosen distance. If you get it right, you'll get enough leeway either side of the range to be successful.

If your going to use it for range finding, the basics are, the further the unit is mounted from the barrel the better. Of course you need to account for your scope height and the position you mount the laser. I.e. above or below. For best results 10" above barrel. With the S16, it was mounted below but did give some fairly accurate results with he way I had it set up.

You'll also need to take into account that scope magnification will also effect the accuracy of the set-up to.

The long and the short of it is that in reality you'll probably get fed up with it after a short while, as it can be very tiresome setting it up properly. You could also argue that it is more worthwhile spending the time to know your rifle, its range ability and your range ability and to learning to judge ranges better.

well i have only used them for ratting because the scope only goes down to 10 yds.. so i just sight the laser in for 10 yds with the lamp and walk about and shoot from looking down the barrel, its allot easier for rats but i hav'nt used it for rabbits and.. the range finding thing is the first i have heard of that ;)

GM

Thanks for the info lads. I downloaded the chairgun program but not quite sure what I`m looking at :oops:

Based on your experiences, I dont think its worth getting Laser sights. I`ll just try & get better with what I`ve got. Whatever I miss, I dont think I can blame the gun ;)

Once again thanks. You`ve all saved me some money.

Millsy :oops: