Tips for DTL

paul1966

take a good book to read whilst shooting, you need something to occupy your mind :lol::lol::lol:

really though its a dicipline like any other it requires full concentration, the only tip i can give you is this, whilst shooting it years ago at my local grounds, a fella was watching, after a couple of rounds shot he came over and offered this advice, when you mount ready to shoot lower your gun a little more from the house/trap/bunker, just before you call for the target start your gun moving, with a gentle rise with the gun as you call for the bird allows you to obtain the target smoother and sooner, it stops the sudden jerky snatch to the bird, i tried this method, and it works, dam that guy was right, his name is John Primrose, won the canadian int trap championship 11 x , another multiple olympic shooter i had the pleasure of gleening tips from.

Martin

I've shot it a good few times, just doesn't float my boat. Tried most of the trap type stuff, OT, ABT and double rise, don't like any of them. Skeet, not sure why I like it but I do, and those that know say it's great practice - which I agree with.

From what DTL I have shot I know it's all about a routine, doing the same thing time and again. Visual acuity is paramount, you must see the bird and shoot it very quickly.

To have it right I bet shooting 300 straight is some achievement, I just can't see the shooting skill in it personally. I can only imagine the concentration required to stay awake that long :good:

I've shot it a good few times, just doesn't float my boat. Tried most of the trap type stuff, OT, ABT and double rise, don't like any of them. Skeet, not sure why I like it but I do, and those that know say it's great practice - which I agree with.

From what DTL I have shot I know it's all about a routine, doing the same thing time and again. Visual acuity is paramount, you must see the bird and shoot it very quickly.

To have it right I bet shooting 300 straight is some achievement, I just can't see the shooting skill in it personally. I can only imagine the concentration required to stay awake that long :good:

take a look at the scores in american trap Pin, some of those guys run a 1000 straight to even get to a shoot off, ive watched them go 500 straight before i fell asleep, as i've said before its a discipline im not good at, i shoot well but not exceptionaly well, skeet on the other hand i do, all of theses games are played by competant shooters, each to his own, admire, respect and aplaud all who excell at them, but untill you stand at the top of those steps, with the cup in your hand, mock em, but dont "knock em"

Martin

Martin,

no one is knocking the guys for doing it, God know I shoot precision rifle. It is the discipline is about as exciting as acold shower

no Martin i wasnt, im with you all the way, to me trap is drywalling, or holding hands with the wife looking into her eyes and paying attention ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for an hour, i cant do it, the guys who do hats off to em. :good:??????

My point entirely.

I couldn't do it, I admit that. I just need more from my sport :good:

I see in the mags "DTL" shooters saying things like "Excellent targets" of a shoot they took part in. If I see excellent targets they deceived me in some way, I thought something and the course setter tricked me.

DTL. Well, I don't mean any disrespect, but **** me it's dull. I'd rather have a root canal.

DTL technique is as follows:

Set 5 imaginary points on top of the trap house, hard left, 1/4 left, centre, 1/4 rt, hard right.

Aim the gun at each of those according to the station you are on, ie stn 1 = hard left etc.

Call the target - you will first see it just over your gun, which will be near the exit flight line the clay takes. Simply lift the gun along the line and fire as you get to the target.

If its a trap gun set up correctly, it will fire high and the shot load will rise to the still rising target. Only the hardest rt or left targets need any perceived lead, and then its not alot.

DTL is a relatively slow target speed, and with a clean steady swing and correctly mounted and set gun, the gun swing does most of the work in a controlled swing through, although trigger timing is usually on the target.

The bogey bird is usually the str away from you one, when you lift too fast and miss over the top!

Progress to ABT or O/T, and then you need real gun speed, and you will see lead on angled targets.

Jerry

Senior Coach