The start of my Ferret Court....

Rookie

Hello all....

As some of you may know, i have been trying to get my hands on some ferrets, and untill now, have had no luck.

I met up with my best mate, and shooting buddies, cousin last weekend who attends Hadlow College doing a tree surgery corse. At this college they do many different outdoor corses and he rekons he should be able to pick me up a couple of ferts. He spoke with his friend who breeds ferrets, but sadly he had none left, other than his own, but he mentioned that he may know someone who has.

Sure enough this other bloke has got some from last year. So all being well, in the next week or so, i should have a couple on the way.

With this in mind, i decided it was time to start investigating about hutches. To start with, i intended to build one, as im quite a practical person, and the materials i could pick up from variouse sites i may be on (Im a Plumber by trade). But in the end, to start me off, i have bought one. Im actually impressed with the buld quality as i have always been under the impression that hutches you buy, are of poor quality, i was plesently pleased :good:

The hutch i went for was called "Thistle Hill" :lol: Others included, Clover Court and Dandilion Cottage :lol: who on earth thinks of these names? :good:

The hutch is actually very large, the pictures do not really do it justice. As you can see in the pic's, its devided into two halves. The next item on the agender is a 'run' which will basically be a mesh cage kinda thing, with a mesh floor to alow the grass to grow into it. This will also be split into variouse sections and house different obsicles for them to play in and around. The idea is to create a 'natural' and playfull area to keep them occupied. 4" soil pipe will be joining the two.

Heres 'Thistle Hill' so far :good:

Hutch1.jpg

Hutch2.jpg

I was thinking of cutting back the bush, and having the run off the side where the lawnmower is.

Let me know what you think, and i would be very greatfull to hear your opinions and ideas.

Thanks,

R.

Nice one Rookie. Glad you got it sorted. that's the exact cage I had/have for Brian. What I am gonna do is stick some of the pipework I got from B&Q underground and connect the 2 hutches up :good: It will be underground with a stop at each end when i need to keep the girls away from the boys.

I will be interested to see what you do :good:

Also be carefull of the hinges on that hutch. our bottom one broke in less than a week.

hu8.jpg

Edited by ShaggyRS6

Cheers lee..

Yeah i thought about having the joining pipe underground aswell to almost simulate a rabbit hole, but it occured to me that if they decided to 'nest' in the tube, it might take a while to get them out when you want to work them, as there would be no direct access to the tube itself.

All the best,

R.

Edited by Rookie

I Started to build the run today as i got home from work early...

I cut the timber to size and treated it with some 'woodland green - all weather protector' as i had some laying around...

If i get home before it gets dark tomorrow, i should be able to asemble the framework....

Pic's to follow...

R.

hi m8 in my run ive a piece of soil pipe running at an angle to about waist height onto a shelf which they love sunbathing on . inside the pipe ive put a piece of carpet the length of it to give them grip up !

from this shelf ive a long lenghth of pipe to another shelf . they seem to love it . as near to dinner time this is where they seem to stand waiting ! i cant see why they would nest in the pipe if they have a nest box

am i crazy or do they know when dinner time is approaching like me dogs ? : :lol:

will put on pics when i learn how to :lol:

They know alright. I have been squeaking at Brian and then giving him a bit of Rabbit to get him used to coming to a squeak. When I am out the front at night tinkering in the garage he goes nuts, climbing the cage etc. He is still a grumpy get with me. When I go and pick him up he always turns his head around to nip. Not got me yet. Dont do it to the boy.

Got to run 90% complete today...

Its a terrible picture as it was on my phone, but you can get the idea of it...

Still to do;

Finish treating the timber..

Create a joing pipe to link the two together...

Add some shelves/platform to the inside..

Position the run in a permanent position and level the ground it sits upon..

Bed in a paving stone infront of the run, to stop the ground being churned up..

Run2.jpg

R.

Edited by Rookie

lookin good :good: daft question whats the run?? on as one of my jills dug out of the tempoary run on the lawn !

I'v meshed the bottom of the run with the same 1cm square mesh i have used on the rest of it. I did this to stop them from digging out, and also to let the grass grow threw it to make it seem more 'natural' .

cheers for the comments lad's.

R.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all...

During the week i added an 'upstairs' to the run and today i built a ladder to access it with...

As you can see the 'upstairs' is an 'L' shape and spans across the back of the hutch, and halfway up one side...

InsideRun1.jpg

I also intend to stick some 'play features' in aswell and some small logs/branches etc...

All that seem's to be left for the time being is drill a hole in side of the run and hutch to join the two up using some pipe...

As a plumber, i can get my hands on all sorts of pipe, but am undecided between 3" rain water pipe, or 4" soil pipe ? :good:

R.

Edited by Rookie