Zeroing the 525.

Evil Elvis

Spent an afternoon zeroing the 525 on one of my local permissions, this was from scope being put on, so from nothing, I zeroed it at 65 yards, its a semi so i wasnt expecting it to be totally accurate like a bolt but if you are a bunny around here...youre in trouble now!!!

I was using eley subs, anyone tried the lapau that i have heard of?

This was the first one, they were everywhere, i had clean the barrel and silencer as I couldnt hit a barn door with the old scope!!! The targets are 6cm crosses.

192003.jpg

This was the second target, the group above and left on the cross was the last 10 I did....getting there

192058.jpg

better:

192213.jpg

Happy with this, any bunnies would be snake food!!!! Thats a 20 shot group i dont think I could get any more accurate on the day as it was quite windy:

192322.jpg

Edited by Evil Elvis

Yes even more greasy than the Eleys :good: dripping in fact.

I think they do do a hollow point, but you have to use solid nose on the electronic scoring mat at the BSRC range - that is the only reason I wasn't using my normal Winchester X's. Some say Eley have the edge on accuracy over Winnies, but Winnies definitly hit harder due to the larger hollow point.

Pay your money and take your choice.

Actually ranges shouldn't mind hollow points, it's just that this range uses a setup with accoustic matting that records your score very accurately.

The only problem being hollow points chop the mat and it cost about £1,000 to replace it, so they don't like them.

The Lapua solids shot to excatly the same POI as Winchesters in my gun, so I don't need to muck about re-zeroing.

:good: Thats interesting....thanks dude, However the ranges around here, dont allow hollows and are £150 a year to join, thats a lot of dosh to zero your gun in!!!!

Now all i need to do is track down some lapaus!!! they dont seem to sell them around here!!!! :good:

Edited by Evil Elvis

B)at 65 yrds i would be very disapointed at the group in my rifle

It was very windy so I was happy, I was also just laying on the ground with no tripod or anything to lean on.....if it was a rabbit id hit it. i took a shot at a magpie today that was pulling lumps off a fox carcass, aimed for the head and removed it!! :lol:

Edited by Evil Elvis

at 65 yrds i would be very disapointed at the group in my rifle :lol:

Sorry but i would :lol:

I would have to agree there, you should also start zeroing from around 25 yds and then work your way back to 50yds and then 75yds. I zero using 5 round groupings. I aim at the centre of the target for every shot, that way you get a nice tight grouping provided you are holding the rifle correctly. You can then adjust your sights accordingly in doing so getting the groupings onto the centre of the target. You should be getting a 5 rd group the size of a 50p at 70 yds.

And your probably right that if it were a rabbit you probably would have hit it, but you wouldn't have killed it and thats what counts.

At first when I was looking at those pics I thought you were zeroing a shotgun by the amt of ammo you used. :lol:

I would have to agree there, you should also start zeroing from around 25 yds and then work your way back to 50yds and then 75yds.

Why should you? 65 yards is all I need, so 65 yards it is!! I am unlikley to shoot anything past that.

As I stated, it was very windy and its the first time ive really zeroed this gun so i was happy, a 50p covers most of the holes on the last target, I head shot a magpie with it yesterday at 45-50yards no problem. I am used to shooting rabbits out to 50 yards with an fac theoben that my mate owns, I always take a head shot....once i start to get a few bunnies moving Ill let you know how good my zero is!!! :o

I would have to agree there, you should also start zeroing from around 25 yds and then work your way back to 50yds and then 75yds.

Why should you? 65 yards is all I need, so 65 yards it is!! I am unlikley to shoot anything past that.

As I stated, it was very windy and its the first time ive really zeroed this gun so i was happy, a 50p covers most of the holes on the last target, I head shot a magpie with it yesterday at 45-50yards no problem. I am used to shooting rabbits out to 50 yards with an fac theoben that my mate owns, I always take a head shot....once i start to get a few bunnies moving Ill let you know how good my zero is!!! ???

Since when is a fifty pence 6cm in diameter? :good:

And how are you supposed to zero a rifle properly in windy conditions? :o

And I've never heard of anyone using 20rds for a grouping practice.

Fair enough 65yds is your zeroed distance, but it is also handy to be able to adjust your aim/sights for targets which would be closer!

I was only trying to give a few pointers on how to zero a rifle, maybe someone else will find it useful, anyways good luck to you and happy shooting! :good: