"Over" shooting a field?

Sundowner

I feel you can but every day can be different thats the exciting thing about chasing a wild bird you allways have to be prepared for the unexpected. Couple of years ago there were a couple of rape fields there were people on there every sat and some days during the week for around 2 months you could all ways go up there and shoot a dozen but on afternoon just after a bit of snow in 2 hrs. had 79 but after that again they were very wary.

The pigeon will soon wise up, and give your deeks a wide berth if you try to shoot the field in quick succession. In years gone by, I have shot a field again after a 3 day rest, but the results were nothing like those obtained on the first day.

McF and myself used to shoot one field virtually every week whilst the winter OSR was dormant, and had some decent bags for the size of field. So I guess that leaving a field to rest for a week is about right.

webber

I once shot over the same bit of laid wheat for 4 days ,shot 670.Next day shot over a water trough (in hot summer) some 500yds away and shot 100+ all these pidgeon were going out to the same field to feed that I had already shot heavy for 4 days.I always say if they want what your are sitting over they will come regardless of how many times they have been shot.As I have said before on this site if you sit there from dawn to dusk thats what does the damage they leave for somewhere else, let them feed and shoot them in the afternoon.

(an example) I once shot 132 pidgeons in 2 hours I was dressed in my best gear and made no hide just stood in the field and shot, they were not bothered by anything ,they were going to come to that place regardless of what happened.

So my answer is yes you might over shoot a field sometimes but not always there are exceptions

Learn to kill them then there are none to remember what happened the day before.

Thats what I have noted over the past 47 years of shooting the devils.

that is the thing with pigeons they do remember, the day befor im trying two shoot a field of rape 1 shot and they are gone for some time, the farm next door witch i shoot as well the farm hand was sent out every day last year with a gun two keep them of rape i was at work so could not cover it.so they remembered from last year, 1 shot and they are gone, not two come back.3 of us went out today we shot 4 and thats it.