Carrying Problem

davhope

I had this problem with my Cocker Dav and it is reasonably simple to cure.

He would retrieve brilliantly and then just plonk the dummy or Pigeon or what ever at my feet and sit obediently.

I sorted it, as NTTF said by stopping him just short in his retrieve before he could drop it and firmly but gently clenching my hands around his muzzle and saying Hold. He soon got the hang of it. Conversely you must teach the dog at the same time to release the dummy on your command after it has been held.

Dont forget the copious praise and reward when things go right. I use little pieces of cooked and dried liver as a reward when training.. its amazing how obedient the dogs become so quickly when there is a *** bit on offer.

I am sure she will correct quite quickly as it sounds as she has got the hard part right and is only doing the natural thing... Presenting you, the pack leader with the spoils!

FM.

Darryn

If you are right handed as the dog comes in and before he/she (it) drops the dummy get your right hand under the dogs jaw and put your third finger into the soft fleshy part of it's underjaw (between the two bones) keep the dogs head upright and back slightly and stroke the head with your left hand giving the dog the hold command but never look in the dogs eyes as you do this you will find that the dog may want to struggle a bit at first but you will have control with your right hand.......remember to give the let go command or dead as you ask the dog to give up the retreive.

In my experience a dog is keen to drop the retreive if *** bits have been used in retreival trainning because the dog is so keen to get this reward,there are a few ways to fix this problem so good luck...........

Foxsy