Details: Detachable Deer-Tex® membrane

High back

Elastic in waist

2 cross pockets

2 thigh pockets with flap andpress-stud buttons

Knee reinforcement

2 back pockets with flap and press-stud buttons

Frost-proof silicone buttons

Materials: 88 % polyester, 12 % polyamide, Lining: 100 % polyester, Micro suede w/peach finish

Deer-Tex® membrane

As it’s winter here in our part of the world Deerhunter asked me to review their Montana Range of clothing. What they sent me was the Montana 5 in 1 Jacket and the Montana 2 in 1 trousers, both in Green. Having reviewed other Deerhunter Products the first thing you notice when you unpack them from the box is the professional way in which they have been packaged and labeled, now I know this means diddly squat in terms of how they will perform in the field, but I think first impressions to count. The big labels on the clothing tell you more about the Deehunter Range and also what materials are used to produce the product.

What you get for your £200 is a fair amount of gear. Lets not forget that the workman ship that goes into this clothing is top quality. I do have other brands of outdoor clothes and they don’t come close to the quality of the Deerhunter Range, that said, they are nowhere near the same price.

Lets start with the jacket then. It’s heavier than I am used to, I do notice I am wearing it when i am out and about. For some that’s exactly what you are looking for, for others like me, it can be a little intrusive at first, you do get used to it though. The jacket has a removable fleece, I love this option, not only for extra warmth, but we have all been on those hunting trips where the weather has started off being rotten, then the sun comes out and you roast, the removable fleece is ideal in these situations, I actually use it a fair amount, not only in the field, but and about when I am not hunting. Unlike some other brands, the fleece attaches directly to the jacked by way of zips and poppers on the sleeves. This is a great idea turning the jacket into one unit if needs be. The fleece has 2 side pockets and one inside the left breast.

The Montana jacket itself is made from a combination of Micro Suede with a mesh lining, it also uses Deerhunter’s patented Deertex Membrane which is removable on the jacket and trousers. The membrane allows the clothing to be windproof, waterproof and breathable, it allows your body to breathe allowing your sweat to be transported through the clothing itself. The micro suede ensures that the clothing is soft and noiseless which it is. There is nothing worse than trying to stalk quietly with noisy clothing that sounds like a plastic bag being rustled. The Micro Suede avoids this.

The jacket comes with a detachable, adjustable hood. Again, this uses the materials described above and is water proof and windproof. I very rarely take the hood off as on those windy days, even if its warm it does offer great ear protection.

The Jacket has a number of pockets inside and outside. 2 Chest Pockets, 2 Front pockets with inlet and cartridge pockets, 2 Napoleon pockets and 1 game pocket. There is an issue however with the 2 front pockets. They only have one button. Other Deer Hunter products I have reviewed have 2 buttons to keep the pockets closed, its great. With one you are prone to cartridges, knives etc falling out when you are laying down. I have no idea why they have gone for one button only, I can only assume to save on costs.

The cuffs of the jacket are fully adjustable and the waist can be adjusted by way of a draw string as can the collar. It should also be noted that all the buttons on both the Jacket and the trousers are frost proof, it’s these little touches in my opinion set Deerhunter aside from the rest. There is also adequate under arm ventilation and it does seem to work well without the fleece. With the fleece on it can get a bit sticky, nothing too serious though.

The jacket also has a rugged double zip. I have noticed on Deerhunter products that this can be a bit temperamental at times and can take a few attempts to do up, again, not a major issue and it could just be down to user error.

Overall the jacket is good, and as I have mentioned, because of the not so “in your face colour†it can be worn away from the hunting grounds, as can the trousers without fear of people reporting a Mexican bandit on the loose.

The trousers are obviously in the same colour as the jacket, and like the jacket are also available in Camo colours. They have an elasticated waste and clasp, a button and a zip to secure. All seem to work well together and have not broken to date.

In terms of storage you get a good amount of pockets. 2 Cross pockets, 2 thigh pockets with flap and press stud buttons and 2 back pockets. It should be noted that both knees are reinforced.

The trousers are comfortable, and allow you to move freely. Be sure though to order the right size, there is nothing worse than trying to hunt in ill fitting clothes.

I have tested the Montana range of clothing out in the field over the past few weeks in both cold, wet and warmish weather. It performs wells. It is as stated on the tin comfortable and quiet. It is with out a doubt water proof, even when laying up in wet grass for considerable time. Does it out perform the competition? That’s a hard one to call. It’s no worse, that much is true. What is true is the quality of the fabric, the finishing, the feel is certainly far ahead of some of the competition. It just feels so much nicer to wear.

The side pockets on the Jacket can easily accommodate 25 Cartridges, the only problem being as I mentioned before they can fall out if your crawling around on the floor as there is only one button to fasten the pocket.

I have been out on some very windy days this year and the Montana Range performs well. Those parts of your body that are covered will not feel a breath of wind.

The material seems durable too. I have been crawling around, climbing over chicken wire, navigating through densely populated orchards and have yet to damage the either the jacket or trousers. That’s not to say its indestructible, but it does manage to cope with the general day to day scrapes that you get yourself into out in the field.

I like the Montana range and it would make a great addition to your hunting clobber. That said, if you were on a limited budget I would suggest the Deerhunter Europe range as this can be used in both summer and winter months, the Montana is a definite winter package in my opinion.

Is it worth the money? £200+ is a huge amount of money out of any hunter’s budget. It will last you though and will keep you both warm and dry. You can find cheaper alternatives on the market that do perform in much the same way, however, you will be hard pressed to find something that is of the same quality of Deerhunter clothing.

I have some deerhunter clothing as well. It is durable clothing apart from the press stud buttons; some of them i had to replace several times on the trousers and jacket. Just fell off.

Warm weatherproof clothing and have been stuck in barbed wire many times (works like a magnet on me i think :D:yes: ) but it doesn't tear easily. :good: