Trail Camera in the UK

Dean k

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they were normal duracells, and had been changed few days ago and no problems there. It looked inside like when you try to jump start a car (when your younger) and mess it up by melting the wires.

Cant see how it could have too much power going to it as batteries are only so strong??

Dean

Yeah as far as I understand it normal batteries only give a certain power level, rechargeables can hold more than they say they do so they're not reccomended for certain electronic devices.

Sounds like a bad wiring job to me, check your warranty before you get anyone to look at it, you might be entitled to a replacement or repair.

Guest rabgoat

sorry to hear about the breakdown dean <_< ,,i've used rechargable one's a few times no problems yet,,there pretty strong too,, nimh 4000 mah,,contact Cabela's they are usely very good when things go wrong,,the camera mount i got of them arrived damaged and they sent out a replacement no probs,,all the best,,rab

I think talking to Cabellas will be a waste of time as no reciept and also the fact I am in the uk. I did check the camera when I got to it as it did rain yesterday, and it was completly dry and the seal was still good.

Hopefully it can just have the one wire re-done?? Will try and get it fixed then get back to you all, really have a lot more that I wanted to do with the camera and don't want to have to buy another :stupid:

Oh well Rabgoat will have to get his out and produce some shots in the meantime :drinks:

Hopefully post soon,

Dean :rolleyes:

Guest rabgoat
Oh well Rabgoat will have to get his out and produce some shots in the meantime :drinks:

Hopefully post soon,

Dean :rolleyes:

don't be holding your breath waiting on pic's like deans from me lads, :stupid: ,not a mission,i got a couple of crows snapped at the weekend,i left a rabbit at the same spot i snapped the last fox to see if there's any regular times,it stood me up,, the fields around me are pretty much dead.. :lol:

Moultrie sell a solar panel and include battery$90/£45 plus delivery, how much for D cells over a couple of years? Have been looking at rechargeables myself, but it would be nice to hear from others of their experience of them. Also gonna ask an another US site, see what the consensus is. Let you all know.

Moultrie sell a solar panel and include battery$90/£45 plus delivery, how much for D cells over a couple of years? Have been looking at rechargeables myself, but it would be nice to hear from others of their experience of them. Also gonna ask an another US site, see what the consensus is. Let you all know.

I wouldn't bother with the solar panel to be honest, I posted on PW when I got my Gamespy i60 and the batteries are still at 89% power :rolleyes: It's been on and out for 90% of the time since I got it, taken hundreds of photos and a few videos.

Only brought it in when Grasshopper, Tulky and Tikkamark were down to us to show them and then to bring home to upgrade the software from the Moultrie site. It's going out again this week as some new fox scats have been spotted and lambing is fast approaching.

Moultrie reccomend not using rechargeables in their cameras however. I even had some and a charger bought before I got mine :drinks: Oh well, use them in a radio or something.

This will give you an idea of daytime photos and video. To be fair, the weather was absolutely awful when the camera was watching this dead sheep (only for a couple of days as it got disposed of after that), pics are usually brighter and better in daylight. I don't have many daytime pics as I've mostly got it set up for night time fox watching. After lambing I'm planning on pegging out a shot hoodie infront of it, something here is eating the hoodies we shoot and I want to know what's doing it.

MDGC0008-1.jpg

Raven

Edited by JohnGalway

Can't really say about the I40 model, 2 less megapixels anyway. I know I read as much as I could about the I60 before buying, specifically I looked for user reviews tather than marketing speils. Amazon and other sites that let users review products were helpful to me. With the dollar being the monitary version of Mr. Muscle against the Euro/Pound it's a good time to be buying from the States. Ebay is a good spot for picking up deals.

John the inlaws are off to the states this week & will be coming back with a few goodies for me :lol:

Can you just confirm to me dose the Moultrie 160 flash or give off any indication of it being there at night, as I want to use it for spotting univited guests on our shoot as well as the invited ones.

Cheers

SS

This is a great little site for trail cam info, only found it last night. Actually ordered a Bushnell Trail Sentry 11-9200 last night on the strength of it, and it's cheap!

The i60 will give off a visable glow when the IR is on, there's also an audible "click" when photos are being taken. For spotting trespassers I would probably use a different camera as Moultrie saves on battery power by putting the camera into "sleep" mode so it can take a few seconds before it takes a photo I'm finding out, which could well mean a person/animal has passed and you're left with a blank photo.

On the site I've linked above they do reviews and tests on trigger times and angle of detection which are well worth looking at. Reason I picked the Bushnell was fast trigger time and what looked like a wide angle of detection compared to others. A camera with those assets is a proper trail camera which can detect quicker moving animals, although battery life is severly compromised compared to Moultrie, which would be more of a feeder/bait station camera. If that makes sense.

I'd read the above site, there are some absolutely fantastic looking cameras for catching trespassers and faster moving animals :lol: Some are cheaper, some aren't :lol:

Edited to add the correct site at the start, here's the other one I posted.

Edited by JohnGalway

• 3 weeks later...

Dont want to sound like a troll but ive noticed there is competition running on the OTHER site for a 35mm trail camera, please excuse my technophobe question but do these work in the same way as normal cameras or do they run off a battery pack? Ive got otters coming off the river to my place and would like to get some pics of them but would I need a special one of these to work in the dark like the pics ive already seen on here?

any info would be a bonus