Trail Camera in the UK

Dean k

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly had a panic tho other day. Went to change expansion card, bloody thing would not go into photo mode, so took camera home, worrying that I would have to send it back to Cabelas. Found that I'd put in a mini expansion card adaptor instead, stupid idiot. Just something to be wary of when you haven't got your reading glasses with you. Also, make sure you delete existing photo's when card reinserted, not sure yet, but thought I'd deleted off card when on computer.

If like mine, software not upto date and you need expansion card to update, I got 2 X 1 gb 133 speed from memorybits and a card reader, lost price to tell you, but not expensive

The major disadvantages to a film camera, unless someone knows better, are you can't check your pics on the spot and the cost of getting them developed, maybe even complications getting them developed depending upon the person doing the job. Even cameras that don't have the inbuilt screens their makers usually offer an SD card reader with a screen.

• 1 month later...

Word of warning gents, I own a 1928 Chevy & have to buy spares in America or Australia for it. I work on the assumtion that if an item including postage is $100US then it will cost me £100 to get it to my door!

Some freight companies charge a percentage handling charge to process your import.

Break down

Part $70.00 £35.00

postage $30.00 £15.00

Import handling charge £30.00

VAT 17.5% £14.00

Total cost £94.00

I've rounded the figures but items under £25 are not taxed & you do not get the handling charge.

I have always been charged the VAT & handling charge on items over £25 & being a gift or second hand makes no difference.

I'm not a shooter, except with a camera, each to his own, but I am looking for a Scouting camera, a Google search bought me to this site & for what it's worth I'm looking at the following cam Scout cam Relatively inexpensive with good write up by Chasingame Here

Edited by claudsgate

I work on the assumtion that if an item including postage is $100US then it will cost me ?100 to get it to my door!

Nonsense. I bought an item from Cabelas, for $179.88, postage (ordered Sunday, arrived Wednesday afternoon) came to a grand total of $71.95. The parcel was large in size and weighed 135 lbs, and you're fretting over a trail cam?:good:?:lol:?:lol:?:hmm:?:hmm:?:hmm:? :)

I work on the assumtion that if an item including postage is $100US then it will cost me ?100 to get it to my door!

Nonsense. I bought an item from Cabelas, for $179.88, postage (ordered Sunday, arrived Wednesday afternoon) came to a grand total of $71.95. The parcel was large in size and weighed 135 lbs, and you're fretting over a trail cam?:lol:?:lol:????????????????? :sly:

I'm not fretting!

Just a warning for those importing into the UK............I note your in the Irish Republic!

The annoying part of the import is this.

I pay UPS (Similar) 30$ to ship my item.

They then charge me another £30 to handle the import!

As well as the item I get charged VAT on these two charges as well.

Every time the item has cost over the £25 limit I get charged.

This may be why overseas sellers charge so low for an item on eBay with astronomical shipping charges to get round the £25 tax limit!

I have no gripe about import charges it's the double charging of the carriers that annoys me.

(The handling costs are less with USPS & Royal Mail)

I know what you mean. I'd be the same way, if a parcel of mine gets nabbed then fair enough but the charges on the ones that do get caught do seem to be excessive. I've made a lot more savings than loss though so I'm fairly pleased :lol: The mark-up on items in this part of the world is just silly, considering the same items can be shipped globally for a lot less. I know now why a lot of gunshop owners are cheerfull fellas :sly:

Guest rabgoat

From I started getting my gear from Cabelas I havn't got charged any tax duty when the item arrived,I put it down to marking the parcel as a gift,,I was charged £30 one time by customs when I bought a range finder from a different company, and it was a small parcel,

• 2 weeks later...

Chap here has just got hold of an infra red one that doesn't flash. Takes excellent pics, even one of a roe licking the lens. The stuff that's about at night is amazing, badgers eating alongside muntjac and roe and I'm sure once I get on it'll become addictive. Might make head counts a lot easier!

Went to check the camera tonight, and it had taken a grand total of two pictures! And they were both of me, one during set up and one tonight! I think I had it pointing too horizontal to pick anything shorter than me up. Have reset it and will try again tomorrow.

I did see the fox I was hoping capture though!

Jef

Chap here has just got hold of an infra red one that doesn't flash. Takes excellent pics, even one of a roe licking the lens. The stuff that's about at night is amazing, badgers eating alongside muntjac and roe and I'm sure once I get on it'll become addictive. Might make head counts a lot easier!

What make and model camera please Highlander? My three are sitting here beside me lol.

Took delivery of a Scout-Guard from SCO yesterday.....And NO import charges, I wonder if weight is a factor with import charges?

Set it up in the back yard last night, where the dogs have access. Tied it to a table leg.

nightcam.jpgnightcam2.jpg

It took a few others of the dogs out at night but the camera was in a confined space & missed the dogs as they came out into the yard.

Tonight will try it in the woods after reading the instructions & setting it up properly.