.17 hmr

ace32

hiya buds,just putting in for my first fac,was just going to use for my .20 fac rapid but have been advised to add on maybe a .17 hmr,i keep hearing that the 17 are very loud,so the question is are they very loud,even with a mod fitted,and compared to what are they loud,ie i had a ba super 10 bull barrel and got rid, was silly loud,scared half the bunnies in the county,where as my .20 rapid with hw mod on is whisper quiet,so come on buds give me the benifit of your knowedge,and point me the right direction,for a decent quiet .17,cheers buds,atb,ian :oops:

hiya buds,just putting in for my first fac,was just going to use for my .20 fac rapid but have been advised to add on maybe a .17 hmr,i keep hearing that the 17 are very loud,so the question is are they very loud,even with a mod fitted,and compared to what are they loud,ie i had a ba super 10 bull barrel and got rid, was silly loud,scared half the bunnies in the county,where as my .20 rapid with hw mod on is whisper quiet,so come on buds give me the benifit of your knowedge,and point me the right direction,for a decent quiet .17,cheers buds,atb,ian :oops:

I personally don't think the hmr is loud,Its not quiet but its not overly obtrusive. makes a good bang in a Vally but not if its windy if you can understand that. although targets scatter they don't know where the sound is coming from so don't go straight to ground.

The hmr round does make a loud crack but the beauty of this round is that you can afford to take longer shots whilst staying very accurate. I have found that the rabbits do notice the noise but aint got a clue where its come from so dont bolt. I was out a couple of nights ago lamping with a mate and at one point had 5 rabbits 100yds away on a slight bank. Each was picked off easily. Final tally was 30 in the back of the truck with at least 10 others we couldnt find or were too messy to pick up.

I'd say go for it, get a .17 hmr you wont regret it. :rolleyes:

get a .223 :rolleyes:

with a sound mod and a fox whistle from foxshot.co.uk

ive taken foxs out to over 300yds rabbits to 547yds and deer till 150 (in scotland) with this sweet caibre cheap and accurate in fact i might know someone who is parting with his full set up rifle mod bipod scope :innocent:

.223 & whistle result DAYTIME CALLING

get a .223 :)

ive taken foxs out to over 300yds rabbits to 547yds and deer till 150 (in scotland) with this sweet caibre cheap and accurate in fact i might know someone who is parting with his full set up rifle mod bipod scope :)

Mmmmmm Rabbit at 547 yard? Must be using a helluva scope.

What holdover did you use for that shot

Don

ive taken foxs out to over 300yds rabbits to 547yds and deer till 150 (in scotland) with this sweet caibre cheap and accurate in fact i might know someone who is parting with his full set up rifle mod bipod scope :)

i shoot a tikka in .223 and know the round can be quite flat give or take an inc or 2 at 250-300 and thats 55gn federal v-shock bt but after that it falls like a brick,so i am curious about the hold over,i do not tend to attempt a shot much beyond 200yds but thats me.its a genuine question not a snipe. :)

sorry original topic 17hmr good round not too noisy but is affected by wind very light,well thats my experiance,when i can get it to group :lol:

Edited by lock&load

Don

its on or was on you tube don.

hi tommy nice to see you back mate.

this one i think

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=acYO26e1vbQ&...feature=related

no its not sorry.

Edited by markbivvy

get a .223 :lol:

Welcome back tommy

The Master returns :):):lol:

ive taken foxs out to over 300yds rabbits to 547yds and deer till 150 (in scotland) with this sweet caibre cheap and accurate in fact i might know someone who is parting with his full set up rifle mod bipod scope :good:

Don

this one i think

no its not sorry.

Did you mean this one Mark

http://youtube.com/watch?v=esZp2XsB3uU

Nice to see you posting again TT :good:

From what bits and pieces I've done with HMR's and being with friends shooting HMR's themselves it can go either way. If you're in an open space with little terrain or features that the sound will bounce back at you it'll be quiet. If you're shooting towards something that'll reflect the sound back to you, or if you're shooting into or in a bowl it'll be louder. Before I got to hear one myself the best two comparisons are a ruler getting slapped down on the top of a table and a .22lr shooting HV rounds (though it may not entirely be that loud).

Only recently did I shoot a couple of rabbits with a mates HMR. Three rabbits not far away, maybe 50 or 60 yards, shot the first two and left the third as he was a little one. The second one never moved after the shot was fired. Mind you, that rabbit patch is very open terrain. Shot hoodies and magpies, safe backstops, where it's been both loud and quiet. Basically it going to be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other depending on where you shoot it and also a bit of a breeze will reduce the noise further.

All that is to my own ears anyway. It's a very good little round is the HMR :lol:

ive taken foxs out to over 300yds rabbits to 547yds and deer till 150 (in scotland) with this sweet caibre cheap and accurate in fact i might know someone who is parting with his full set up rifle mod bipod scope :good:

Don

this one i think

no its not sorry.

Did you mean this one Mark

http://youtube.com/watch?v=esZp2XsB3uU

Once again Paul thanks mate. :lol: