Mr Pieman Senior

Guest Mr Pieman

Guest Mr Pieman

Dear All,

Well after an agonising few days Mr Pieman finally died yesterday at 1730hrs. Having been admitted to hospital for the previous three days, I managed to stay with him for the last days of his life. The hospital staff let me sleep on the floor by his bed - not that I got much sleep - and I managed to try to tell him some of the things I needed him to know bwefore he left us.

I had hoped he would just peacefully slip away in his sleep but I wasn't blessed with that luxury. Although he wasn't in pain (too much morphine for pain) he looked so scared as his heart and lungs finally stopped. It was so difficult to keep telling him it was ok, not to fight it and just drift off to sleep. I so wanted him to stay but he has suffered so much it was the only kind thing left. Watching someone you love and cherish slip away in front of you is a terrible thing and one I hope I never have to see again :huh:

So, Mr Pieman Senior has finally made the short journey to the great hunting grounds in the sky. I have many happy memories of him and hope the pain will eventually fade. I don't ever remember crying so much.

So, from the ashes a phoenix needs to rise. I have two. Firstly, I have learnt the value of the hospice. St Andrews Hospice in Grimsby were amazing. Dad never stayed there, but often went as a day patient. They helped bath him at home and really did care for his welfare in a compassionate and loving way. If you see people collecting for hospices, please stick a few quid in the box.

Second, I have decided that as Mr P Senior was such an inspiration to me that I would like to do something as a legacy to him. So, from Dad's gun cabinet I would like to give one of dads guns to a youngster to help them get into the sport. It is a 27 inch barrelled English side by side, choked 1/4 and 1/2. It isn't a Purdey or any such thing but is in excellent condition and was the last gun my father shot before he got too ill to go out. It is in very good condition and handles very well. Ideally, would probably suit a right handed shot as, although a 'straight' stock, it has a slight right handed kick to it (it is supposed to have it!)

So, ideas people. I have no idea of how to select the recipient and would like it if someone could work something out for me, letting me just hand over the gun. I'll also give some of Dad's decoying stuff too once I get things sorted out.

I think Dad would be proud that he could play a part in 'bringing on' another youngster into the shooting world and, I feel, it would be a fitting legacy to a man I have admired and loved all my life.

Wherever you are now Dad, I love you. You'll always be in our thoughts and hearts. After all the pain and suffering I know you have finally found peace and can rest. I'm sure we'll find a worthy recipient for your gun and in a roundabout way you can keep the pigeon total down. Rest in peace, my dearest friend, father and teacher x

Dad's funeral is next Wednesday.

dearest sympathies Pieman. A noble gesture in the gun that If he's looking down I am sure he will be proud. Try to let the past few months pain fade with memory and remember all the good times you had forever.

youve made me cry now you ******.

jimDfish

i shed a tear when reading your post i truly feel for you mr pieman. You have my greatest respect for saying what you have on the forums and for giving a gun away you truly are a great man my deepest sympathies to you and your family

y.i.s

jordan

Like everyone else I was very moved by the post, you have my deepest sympathies on this sad day. The donation of the gun to a youngster is a very noble suggestion and I wish you the best of luck in finding one who deserves this chance, Cranfield's suggestion of contacting the BASC is a good one.

My thoughts are with you,

William.

My condolances to your faimly. I know these have been trying times and you have conducted yourself as a true Gentleman and loving son throughout. I only hope I can show 1/2 the courage that you have when it is my Fathers time. I am proud to know you and to call you a friend.

As for the gun, consider holding an essay contest. The essay would have to be written by the child telling of there feeling to hunting and why they feel that they should be the holder of such a fine jester.

Yours in Sport........Dan

mr pieman, as have many ,i have a tear in my eye and a pain in my heart, you sir have to be an extremely strong person ,of whom im sure your family are proud as IS your father, i admire your strength in writing your posts to keep us all informed, i feel like it is a family here.

i hope you find the right youngster to hand down your fathers gun ,maybe a nephew or neice you have you could take them out and pass on your memories too ,good luck to you

martin

"lest we forget "

Mr Pieman,

Please accept our sincerest condolences for your great loss. Our thoughts are

with you and your family at this sad time.

Maybe you could contact BASC and donate your fathers gun as a young shots

prize at one of their competitions ?

Be strong.

Andy