muntjac = vermin?

rob13

My FEO told me not to send in my cert for muntie and cwd to be added , and i would be ok :blush:

i Seriously wouldn't like to put it to the test Rob - Just get your variation in and buy a nice big calibre, you know you want too :good:

Nope, me either, the deer acts are law, irrespective of what any FEO says. I would not be surprised if you asked 5 different FEO's for their views on this, you would get 5 different answers.

I am not an FEO, and I am NOT pretending to be an expert in firearms law, but if was a betting man I would say he is wrong Rob.

I have CWD/Muntjac on my FAC against my .223 now, but it was explained to me very clearly by my FEO that as long as I had a deer calibre I could shoot the smaller deer with my .223 without sending my certificate in. If I didn't have that, I couldn't, simple as that. I had it added on renewal as a matter of course.

I am not an FEO, and I am NOT pretending to be an expert in firearms law, but if was a betting man I would say he is wrong Rob.

I have CWD/Muntjac on my FAC against my .223 now, but it was explained to me very clearly by my FEO that as long as I had a deer calibre I could shoot the smaller deer with my .223 without sending my certificate in. If I didn't have that, I couldn't, simple as that. I had it added on renewal as a matter of course.

Will be putting in for a variation soon anyway , so will get it added to the .223 at that time :good:

Why take the chance? Can you imagine trying to explain to a young copper with no firearms experience, "my FEO said that it would be OK"?

Send your ticket in to have deer added, it's free, and only requires an ink-stamped condition. I am sure that if you explained in a covering letter, that you have a deer shooting trip in the very near future, your ticket would be back quickly, even more so if you phone HQ once they have received it.

Why take the chance? Can you imagine trying to explain to a young copper with no firearms experience, "my FEO said that it would be OK"?

Send your ticket in to have deer added, it's free, and only requires an ink-stamped condition. I am sure that if you explained in a covering letter, that you have a deer shooting trip in the very near future, your ticket would be back quickly, even more so if you phone HQ once they have received it.

my experience of most young coppers is they don't know their **** from their elbow as far as firearms are concerned, though the SO19 guy I took clay shooting who asked if my semi auto was legal was a cracker :good:

You'd have to be exceptionally unlucky to even get asked the question but better safe than sorry, though as Stuart has experience of FEO's have been saying all sorts with regard to people being without a license while renewals etc have been taking too long and I've yet to hear of a problem. At some point you have to take someone at their word and not assume you or the interweb know better.

on the question of muntjac damaging crops, last year a farmer friend of mine had a visit of about 20 muntjac on a field of young sugar beet one night and they destroyed about 5 acres, so he had to electric fence the field to save the rest. having seen the damage myself i can definitely tell you that they can damage crops.

Right...... my 2p's worth....

I don't have deer on my cert, but my FLO has told me that I can legally shoot munties and CWD with my .223 with no variation..

So the debate goes on..

as has been said.. clear as mud.. and if unsure or what ever.. speak to your FLO, and it need be.. get it in writing

Adam

thats the safest way to go as if it does not say on your ticket what the conditions are for your 223 you hav left yourself open for negligence if ever pulled up on this ,as each calibre has a condition of use

Right...... my 2p's worth....

I don't have deer on my cert, but my FLO has told me that I can legally shoot munties and CWD with my .223 with no variation..

So the debate goes on..

as has been said.. clear as mud.. and if unsure or what ever.. speak to your FLO, and it need be.. get it in writing

Adam

i presume AdamW, you hav such knowledge of the deer you hav been told you can shoot , if not get some as the deer's welfare is at stake here

th

"i presume AdamW, you hav such knowledge of the deer you hav been told you can shoot , if not get some as the deer's welfare is at stake here

th"

Trollhunter,

Yes, I have been out with a friend who regular shoots them, so not a problem, and you are very right, it's the deer welfare at stake, and definitely not something to be taken lightly! but that can be said for all quary....

I have a very regular supply of venison delivered to me, and thus am fairly good at the butchering of the beast.

I have considered doing the DSC1 course, but it will cover stuff that I will never need.

Adam

i presume AdamW, you hav such knowledge of the deer you hav been told you can shoot , if not get some as the deer's welfare is at stake here

th

this bit irritates me more than anything, if the police are happy for you to shoot foxes why the extra bull that goes alongside shooting muntjacks. I know people like to add to the prestige of shooting deer but dead is dead, and if anything they're far easier than foxes to shoot as its usually easier to get closer

the gralloch bit I get same as general meat hygene, realistically though you don't need this for any other quarry. But is that what the police are worried about as far as putting Deer on someones ticket as you say Muntjack seasons etc aren't relevant, if so what are the police doing being concerned about something thats more a public health issue. On a side issue anyone can shoot them with a shotgun with the right conditions etc to be legal and no issue is made of carcass handling etc as far as identifying foxes well I'd say that can be harder as you can have to identify them under lamping conditions as opposed to muntjacks that will always be in daylight.

Edited by al4x

Yes, I have been out with a friend who regular shoots them, so not a problem, and you are very right, it's the deer welfare at stake, and definitely not something to be taken lightly! but that can be said for all quary....

I have a very regular supply of venison delivered to me, and thus am fairly good at the butchering of the beast.

I have considered doing the DSC1 course, but it will cover stuff that I will never need.

Adam

sounds like a good relationship you have going on there , a good supply of fantastic tasting meat , if you don't do burgers with the off cuts then it is a worth try

vennie burgers on the barbie :lol:

the gralloch bit I get same as general meat hygene, realistically though you don't need this for any other quarry. But is that what the police are worried about as far as putting Deer on someones ticket as you say Muntjack seasons etc aren't relevant, if so what are the police doing being concerned about something thats more a public health issue. On a side issue anyone can shoot them with a shotgun with the right conditions etc to be legal and no issue is made of carcass handling etc as far as identifying foxes well I'd say that can be harder as you can have to identify them under lamping conditions as opposed to muntjacks that will always be in daylight.

the bigger problem is when out with a shotgun how many times are you going to be loaded up with ssg'g or spsg's or AAA's or an equivalent cartridge suitable of a killing shot on munties , when a muntie is runnig away from you at thirty yards what part of the body are you shooting at so it can be killed outright with the least amount of suffering and also while it is running away from you can you tell if it is a buck or a doe which is heavily pregnant or a doe suclking a calf , atleast when out stalking with a rifle you can observe the animal in question through a set of binos or a cranked up scope (part of the kit you would need while stalking) so if you are shooting a doe you hav a better chance of not shooting one with a dependant calf that is likely to starve

i would hope when you flash your lamp in a field of sheep ,a fox will stand out like a sore thumb but a munty will look the same just like a dog or brock does ,

we only have six species of wild deer in this country one of them is the muntjac ,how many other countries can you go and shoot them, i wonder , not put on a pedestal but more the fact to be appreciated for what they are a species of deer that we are lucky to have