How londg will it be before she stops

pigeon master

Hi dogmen,

you will know my Amber by now I'm sure but I have a question about her house training.

She is 13 weeks old now but is still wetting in the house, she sometimes goes on her pampers mat but other times she just wets anywhere, even on my other dogs bed.

Its my first pup as the other dog was a year old from the RSPCA and she was already house trained.

What sort of time frame should I expect before she has figured it out, the wifes is OK about it and says "ooorrrr shes only a baby" but its getting on my boobs.

How old were your dogs that live in the house before they got it sorted.

The PM

Hi PM,

Place newspaper down on the floor and get her used to going on it (put your pampers mat on it to start with). Gradually reduce the size of the newspaper and move towards the door. Place a soiled piece of newspaper in the garden and encourager her to go on that when you let her out for a pee during the day and last thing at night. Use a command word to encourager her to go, my dogs are kennelled but before I put them in for the night I encourage them to empty themselves, I use quick quick as the command! As Amber learns the command (as soon as she squats us the command and lots of praise) and the newspaper is moved towards the door and eventually outside she will associate the command with going outside to pee. You will probably find she will go to the door when she wants to go and if she pees when you let her out give her lots of praise.

As for time scale it all depends on how quick she picks it up but she should be fairly reliable from 6-8 months. Remember she is only a young pup and even when you think she’s house trained be prepared for the odd accident!

Hope this helps!

Cheers

I personally do not like to paper train puppys. The reason being that you train them to pee in your house then you train them not to pee in your house. What my wife and I do is; everytime the puppy wakes up take it out side...when she pees,(and she will) tell her good girl and give her lots of praise. We also put a command ,(go pee), to it so that the dog learns to empty when told, this saves frustration and time when the dog is older and you are in a hurry. Besides taking her out as soon as she wakes, she will need to go out right after eating or drinking, a play period (remember the harder she plays the shorter the time she will hold it) and every hour inbetween that she is awake. Which brings us to sleep time, (yours not hers), CRATE HER. Teach her to spend the night in a crate. If you are using a full size crate block it of so that she only has enough room to lay down comfortably, turn around in and sit in. Any more room than this and she will have an area that she will use for a washroom. As soon as you let her out of the crate in the morning take her outside.

Crate training is not mean or nasty on the contrary, the dogs accept the crate as their den, it is where they go to be left alone for quiet time, it becomes their safe place. If you have to travel or fly, or your dog needs to spend time at the vets, then she is already use to being in a crate and there is no added stress to her.

As for a time period this usually takes around a week to become ingrained in the pup, at which time you can start to teach her to ask to go out, or to ring a buzzer to go out. Remember which ever method you choosepraise, praise, praise.

Good information from both Mad and NTTF but remember the pup has a under developed Bladder until about 6 months old and this has a small capacity and is difficult for the pup to control... The problem is exacerbated with a Dog as they will instinctively urinate in excitement when they greet you in the morning or when a visitor arrives.

I like to housetrain by using Mads method and also chastise the dog when caught in the act indoors but not after it as they cannot associate your verbal telling off with a puddle which may have happened 15 minutes before. Never be tempted to rub a dogs nose in a puddle of Urine.. This is an Old Wifes tail without any foundation or value what so ever. I agree with both. Praise, Praise, Praise is the key to all successful training.

I trained my previous Springer to urinate and deficate in one patch on the Garden which saved my lawn from urea burns and also any embaressment when I took him out.

My Cocker Dog was not fully House trained until about 20 weeks.

Dont get too frustrated.. :huh:

FM.

I had no problem training my Cocker...he pretty much learned himself. The trick was that any time the dog ate or drank, the bowels or bladder would be triggered, at this point I would bring him outside and he would then do what he needed. He soon learned to go to the door.

At no point did I rub his nose in anything! Its a myth that just humiliates a dog and teaches them nothing.

Cheers guys,

I agree with you all that praise gets the best from a dog and rubbing their nose in it just isnt a option for me, its shocking that people are so thick to think it will work.

I didnt know about the weak bladder so I will have to take on board what you have said and stick with it, I do take her out as soon as she wakes up and about ten times throught the day but sometimes after I bring her in she goes and sh@t's, little bitch.

They make you laugh though dont they, her little growls at big sally just crack me up, she thinks she is so tuff, she locks on to sallys neck and rides the rapids. I do get a bit scared when she plays tug of war with sally as sally shakes her on the other end of the toy and looks like a black and white flag flying sometimes.

Cheers again, good to know what to expect from her

The PM

• 2 months later...

My lab cooper was housetrained pretty well after a few days of bringing him home. He lived indoors for the first week or so while I finished his outdoor run and kennel.

Just wish I could now get him to use one area of the garden as he does like to spread himself out and no matter if he's done his business in his run when he's let out he does more in the garden like clockwork.

If anyone would like to see pics of him check out Cooper Pictures

Cheers,

Ben

PM, The boys are correct, she won't have much control over herself for a long time yet. At night time do you confine her in a crate? That's a good way forward because dogs don't like to mess themselves or their own little pit.

NTTFs advice is good; whenever she takes a pip or poop (outside!) give a command and lots of praise. I've got my 12 month old lab pup piddling on command.

Eug

Guest ferret_meister

shes to young to have full pi**/**** controll....grin and bear and train. alls you can do is use a treat when she craps etc out side,, shell soon imprint the nice taste with out door watersports :)