Dog scared of bangs

jimdfish

I have a three year old staffie( not a gundog ) who is petrified of bangs, be it fireworks or guns. It distresses me to see her pant in fear every time a firework goes off as much as it scares her. Does anyone have any ideas that may help.PLEASE. She is three years old now and spoilt to death. Does DAP work? Should I ignore her when she shakes? Tranquilisers around bonfire have been the only thing up to now which have worked but I am sure she is still sh@tting herself but too stoned to react. I know most of my posts are taking the micky but this one is deadly serious. HELP

jimDfish

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

One I have used for getting the Gun dogs used to noise and other dogs to shot as well is ....

By sitting with your dog in a field and playing with "it".

using a friend with a .22 blank pistol to start shooting a single shot (starting range 100yds +).

If no reaction from the dog just edge a bit closer, and as soon as the dog notices anything then stop.

Continue this for as long as it takes untill the dog is used to the bangs.

Also when feeding the dog try clapping your hands then moving on to Shutting a book loudly.

this has worked for me 2 labs and 1 springer. First 2 I got from pups so it was quite easy to do it gradualy. Current lab was a 8 month return to breeder "reject" when I got him, but he is doing all right.

Jim, You are not alone! I have two German Shepherds who are afraid of loud bangs and even the sound of the wind.

I live near an RAF base and the other day, a tornado went over the house just high enough to miss the chimney pots. I never heard it coming but when it passed over I thought the roof was coming off. It was earsplitting. In no time at all, the two dogs where trying to squeeze under the chair I was sat on in my office. They haven't stopped following me everywhere since that day.

I really feel for them and reding your post has prompted me to try to do something for them.

Good luck with yours mate!

Rob