Will this do?

HeadShotHoncho

I need to know if this gear will do for decoying pigeons with an airgun I am buying 8 full-bodied deeks, and some great camo netting from a shop over the internet. I have a deerhunter camo jacket and the air rifle is a HW80 witha 3-9X40 scope. I am going to set up near the trough they feed at or bait the ground with stale bread for a bit then some hay and roasted peanuts on the day. I am going to hide 10-15m away and wait for them to land.

Please do not post telling me to get an SG as this is not an option!

I am a complete newbie but know in theory how to set them out.

Many thanks, HSH :)

I have heard of people putting out stale bread for them to make them associate that area with easy pickings but could you put decoys out and see what happens so you know what time they're out or would they realise they're fake and spook and not come the next time you try it?

Thanks for the help, HSH :)

Edited by HeadShotHoncho

I wouldn't worry about the bread too much as long as the decoys are set well they will just come right into the pattern. they tend to stay on the ground for a good 30secs or so before they realise their plastic counterparts aren't up to much and there isn't alot to eat. by this time you will have the rifle trained on them and your trigger finger will be primed. : )

Just set the decoys in a horseshoe style pattern facing toward the hide so the decoys are in a U shape towards you bud. then they pigeons should try to fly into the gap in the U.

Here is a pic of what Im trying to describe from the web. don't worry about the rotary too much this Isn't necessary.

01-patte.gif

Tris.

Please note, they're no cover crops whatsoever. It is bare grass with a water trough they drink at cos they roost in some derelict barns I have a permission on and now they've smartened up and I am getting one a week if I'mlucky :):) but the field near my house has silage planted and they attack that when it is cut and when its sown, they also feed on it when its already planted

Edited by HeadShotHoncho

With that gear, and with the hw80, you can easaly make your hide further away, up to 40 yards. No problem for a gun like that. is it .22 or .177?

I own one in .177 (fac) and shoot rabbits with it at 65 yards with H&N barracuda.

Edited by terrier

Yeh Mate! Sounds like you've got all the basics covered. Try the techniques mentioned, as they all work. Little tips & tricks will come with practice and experience. Don't give up if you first don't have any luck. Just keep trying and you will develop your own style that works best for you. Good luck and happy shooting!

The trough is near the derelict barns that they roost in and unfortunately I have only just started decoying and am not sure it will even work so I will stick with the hide for the moment cos Gillie suits cost a lot, I should be able to make a good hide cos theres tons of leaf litter in the woods and I'll be able to bait the ground near the woods and they roost in the hedges.

Also there is the large barn they sit on and there is a open bit of grass they fly over and can see and there is some scrub and weeds along with some rubble by the wall of the barn and more weeds along the wall of the field I can hide in.

Many thanks, HSH :good:

Edited by HeadShotHoncho

• 3 weeks later...