spent cases

russ91

spent cases be honest  

115 members have voted

1. 1. do you pick up your spent cases

• yes
    • no
    • some times

When out on farm land i always make an effort to pick up. Dont get me wrong i wont go rooting in a hedgerow for long if they have gone in. But why give anyone cause for complaint.

If im at a clay ground i always turn the gun over and eject them into the bin.

If this is not possible then i will pick them up

:good: If it were my land they would get laid off pretty quick! :good: I pick up other carts I see too...like has been said, then you know who has been around each visit. Also I figure that as I sometimes do miss the odd one (inevitable really) if I see others that aren't mine that I owe it to the environment to clean it up. :lol: Karma - what comes around goes around. :good: Edited by Oly

Yep allways

I also spend alot of time while out walking the dog picking up other peoples cartridges, I've even followed a couple of Portugese rough shooters picking up there shells they were disgarding in the hedgerows :good: When I approached them & asked them to pick up there emptys they had the audacity to say they weren't theirs :good: even though they were still smouldering & were exactly the same brand in their cartridge belt :good:

Next time they might find some empty shells super glued to the bonnet of their motor :lol::lol:

SS

If you dont pick up your rubbish, in my opinion, you are scum of the earth and no great help to shooting in general.

Absolutely, if you don''t have the courtesy to pick up your own rubbish then your not fit to live..

rather over the top dont you think?

If you dont pick up your rubbish, in my opinion, you are scum of the earth and no great help to shooting in general.

Absolutely, if you don''t have the courtesy to pick up your own rubbish then your not fit to live..

rather over the top dont you think?

Yes a little over the top. Majority of people clear up behind themselves in this game. Most .22 cases remain in the vehicle anyway after ejecting. I have shot places during the summer and returned later in season to find cases I have missed from before which I duly then retrieve.

When I was still in primary school (bout 8 years old I suppose) me and a mate would go 'cartridge collecting', basically we'd tramp around the hedgerows for miles picking up any carts we found. Three Crowns were ten a penny, but if we found a 410 cart with nice shiney brass on it, that was a good day! Purple 12 bore carts were really rare for us to find as well, used to have a bit of rivalry with each other to see who found the best.

Anyway, the farmer always used to stop and have a chat when he saw us, looking back on it he was probably using us to find out who was leaving carts all over his fields!

One of my unofficial conditions for being on my permission - pick up the carts. As I use Eley Realtree and shoot a semi, it can sometimes get tricky.

I'm also always picking uyp other people's carts, which annoys me no end.

I even walk the land where I shoot from time to time just so I can pick up the wads and any clays that I have missed when practising. As people have mentioned already its good to see if anyone else is shooting on your patch too then. Keeps the farmer happy knowing your not leaving a mess as well..

Always picked up carts when I went shooting,

On clay stands where I would shoot more than a couple; I would usually wait till the end of the round to bin any that had missed the bin. Always tidied up for the next person though. Once lost a couple in a nettle-bush; the guys told me not to worry as they were more concerned with the "corporate" types leaving spent carts on the gravel areas than a couple of lost ones from a guy who always picked up.

Nevertheless I borrowed one of their telescopic rods with a magnet on from the hut; and fished them out of the nettles anyway. It is just common decency, whether on a paid range/shoot or pest control for a farmer: We have been given the privilege of coming onto private land to do the sport we so much enjoy, it is only fair we do our best to clean up after ourselves. Of course it is not the shooters on this forum who need telling that.

Some police forces firearms officers seem to avoid "policing their brass" when using civilian ranges. Leading to the comments to the effect it was like "wading through" spent 9mm casings after they had finished. Then again some of the members were not happy with the gun-safety discipline of some of these officers either. I do not mean this as a disrespect to police firearms officers in general. They do a very good job with professionalism on the whole; there a just a few that need to buck their ideas up given the position of responsibility they are in. As much as there is always a tiny minority in every walk of life that are less considerate than the whole; I do not think a civilian shooter would find himself very welcome at a range the next time if he kept leaving a mess for others to clean up.

Speaking of which; is there an easy way to recycle old brass that is no good for further reloading? Or do you have to go to the local tip to recycle it? I think a "brass bin" would be a good idea for a range, no doubt its already been done though.

mr_colt.

mr_colt.

Edited by mr_colt

i collect all my emptys.

we have a brass bin at the range, when thats full its worth a few quid down the scrapy. all goes back in to club funds

i have a case catcher on my .22 makes a little noise but saves me hunting round for them when im finished.

there is no excuse for dropping any litter.

i had a word we a lad at the local motox track about picking up his litter, his dad told me to mind my own #ucking bussiness, so i duely gave his X5 a blast of mud when i rode my quad past! :stupid: at least it will wash off quicker than those crisp packets will degrade!