Shotgun license time issues (Kent Police )

snowyhog

I have just had a visit from the firearms officer for Kent Police !! he approved my cabinet ,etc .

He said that he has been told to say 5-6 weeks wait after the visit .

I first applied in early January .

A person at Maidstone HQ has said ,to a friend that they are clearing Octobers at the moment .

The whole situation in this day and age with computor aid is depressing !!especially when you really want to get out shooting .

Has anyone on here recently received theirs in the Kent area ??

I believe renewals and change of address are also backlogged . :hmm:

I am having trouble finding the numbers, but in Scotland, Northern Police has the largest number of firearms to license, yet is pretty much the quickest force. Standard time is 4 weeks.

If they can do it, I don't see why down south they should not be able to do it.

Annoying isn't it?

I have just had a visit from the firearms officer for Kent Police !! he approved my cabinet ,etc .

He said that he has been told to say 5-6 weeks wait after the visit .

I first applied in early January .

A person at Maidstone HQ has said ,to a friend that they are clearing Octobers at the moment .

The whole situation in this day and age with computor aid is depressing !!especially when you really want to get out shooting .

Has anyone on here recently received theirs in the Kent area ??

I believe renewals and change of address are also backlogged . :no:

Due to my inadequacies last year I waited about 6 months for my SGC renewal.

LB

A friend of mine renewed his pt 1 which ran out last June and got his new cert end of Jan 08.

Currently I am waiting on a one for one swap over on my pt 1. I advised them of the transfer details at the time in writing and I was advised by the local feo to hold onto my cert until contacted by him. The reason given was that if I sent it in the cert would sit in the pile until it came to the top and then it would be sent out to him in the internal post. In the meantime I would not have my cert to buy ammo or dispose of any weapons ECT.

I spoke to someone at Kent HQ firearms dept and they told me that there were several reasons for the delay. Firstly -- there is a new national reg system that has a lot of bugs in it. Second – This year is a big year for renewals and thirdly some experienced staff have left or retired and new staff are having to be trained on the new system. However this is not really of any interest to me and I find it incredible that the authorities have the gall to set into operation a new system without the ability to deliver a product on time and within budget. As for me I was told to send an Email into a certain person to ask if my paperwork could be sent out to the feo so that it could be sorted out, as it was an easy one to deal with. This I did and nothing has happened as far as I know. What gets me is the total contempt that we >> the paying public are just dismissed like we don’t matter. If the licensing department were in competition then they would be out of business with such a poor service.

I’ve been told that I could have to wait up to six months for my one for one swap to be processed. And this also was from an feo in the Kent area >> Last week !! So who knows what the truth is :no:

What if anything are the shooting organizations doing about this. Are they giving the police authorities gyp about this? If so I haven’t seen anything about this.

After a careful study of the procedures that they have to go through to renew, I will concede that 10 working days would be good service.

But surely they are clever enough to realise that having a backlog is slowing them down more than us? They are making life hard for themselves than if they were efficient!

There are two big reasons for delays in the processing of FACs.

One is that certs went from 3yr to 5yr a while back, and that created a two year low followed by a three year high renewal cycle. We are in a three yr cycle now and without recruiting more FEO's the process slowly slips, and is caught up again when the two year lull comes in.

The other is the introduction of national licensing records. The counties used to hold the records locally, with quick access, but now everything is uploaded / downloaded from a National resource. Unfortunately, the secure pipeline in place does not have the bandwidth to support the speed the Firearms Licensing Offices have been used to, and this is slowing the whole process down too.

Only more staff and better hardware will speed things up, and with cuts and budgets all round, neither is likely to happen soon.

Clayman

I've just had a change of address with Kent Police. It took 4 months before the paperwork was passed to the FEO, he saw me within a few days, and then about a month for the new certs to arrive after he sent them back.

I believe everything else is around the 5-6 month mark although a friend recently waited nearer 8 months for his FAC/SGC application.

Cheers,

Phil