Hunting with a Slingshot/catapolt

new to the flock

Anyone hunt with a slingshot?

Growing up we use to hunt rats, squirrels and pheasants with homemade sligshots, and steel bearings. When I got older and was in the northern grouse woods hunting bear or moose we used a little cup that we filled with loose shot and took spruce grouse quietly.

Was playing out in the snow today and was amazed that I was back to grouping bearings in a 1.5 inch group at 20 yards again in no time. Think I will have to practice some more and maybe have a hunt on the tree rats this fall.

NTTF

Being in the motor trade and having access to a plentifull supply of ball bearings from wheel bearing changes, I just love 'paults.

8-10mm balls do a better job than .22 air rifle pellets anyday Dan.

LB

You should try the steelies out of airisol cans :blush::hmm::lol:

Mind you I can afford to buy them now......different from when I was a wee un.....10mm steelies heck of a job on a carrrrr, um mean a coke can :blush:

NTTF

Being in the motor trade and having access to a plentifull supply of ball bearings from wheel bearing changes, I just love 'paults.

8-10mm balls do a better job than .22 air rifle pellets anyday Dan.

LB

You should try the steelies out of airisol cans :blush::hmm::lol:

Mind you I can afford to buy them now......different from when I was a wee un.....10mm steelies heck of a job on a carrrrr, um mean a coke can :blush:

NTTF

:P:yes::lol: That will cause global warning you Yankee redneck.

Have you never read the 'caution' section on the back of an aerosol ?

LB

Can anyone tell me the legalities of hunting int the uk with slingshots? I always fancied a Banett slingshot (the ones with counterweights and wrist support etc) but I doubt I would ever be accurate enough to consider hunting with one :angry:

they can be very accurate - you just need to practice a lot. Smooth stones for practice then swap over to .38 cal bearings- well that's what I did as a nipper. Squirrels were in danger if in range. Great fun learning trajectory.

Can anyone tell me the legalities of hunting int the uk with slingshots? I always fancied a Banett slingshot (the ones with counterweights and wrist support etc) but I doubt I would ever be accurate enough to consider hunting with one :good:

ive got one of those your talking about, a pro diablo, brilliant piece of kit, pigeons head from 20 yards :angry:

anyone know what energy these do at full twang - with ball bearings - bet it is surprisingly high, compared to an airgun

Tell me the speed and weight, and I wil tell you the energy, or you can work it out for yourself; Weight of missile x velocity x velocity, divided by 450240 equals energy, doddle innit? This equation will give you the muzzle energy of any bullet, missile etc.

Great thread - I used to be a fair shot with them 30 years ago but I doubt I could hit a cow's a*se with one now. Used to take no end of mallard with them (easy) and squirrels. Broke my parent's kitchen window with a marble that ricocheted off the bird table when I missed a squirrel. Ball bearings were my projectile of choice and I still can't walk past one now without picking it up! Remember that sore bit on the top of your hand that the elastic used to twang?

• 3 weeks later...
Black widow. Oh yes.

Nothing was safe (as long as it was no more than a foot away, stationary and the size of a muck spreader!)

There isn't anything around us that would stay within range of a catty apart from the pheasants but I aint shooting them. Everything else disappears pretty promptly.

/Mad

Funny I been thinkin about slingshots for last few days due to the increasing laws against air guns etc. Does any one know the legalities around hinting with a slingshot at all? I know we cant have a pellet in an airgun in a public place, but can we have a slingshot in our hands (and ball bearings in the pocket) in a public place? There are a lot of woodies in my local park :blink: