.30-06

Got a .243 and 6.5x55 stalking rifles and now considering getting a .30-06 for Reds, Sika and Boar.

Does anyone here use one on a reg basis?

What is the trajectory like compared to my 6.5x55?

Is it worth buying or should i just stick to my Sauer 6.5? If i do decide on the .30-06 then looking at a Sako 85 SS or Blaser R93.

An excellent deer calibre .A bit more poke than a .308 ,but not as much power as the .270 . A very popular calibre in the states . versatile to reload for and very accurate over the longer ranges .If my memory serves me right you can get a 220 grn bullit for it for use on the large antelope ,sheep ,goats .and bears .I think thats why it is so popular in the states . Harnser .

In fact the -06 has MORE power than a 270. The 270 is a 30-06 case necked down to .270 diameter. The -06 is popular in the states because it was a standard military caliber. There was plenty of surplus ammo and guns after the wars. Plus a lot of vets knew the round so stuck with it. It continues to be popular because of the versatility and availability. You'd be hard pressed to find a sporting rifle in the US that isn't chambered in 30-06. It can do just about anything you'd want to do in north america. If you reload it is even more versatile.

The 30-06 shines when you are shooting 165-200 gr bullets in 30 caliber. Under that weight you're better off with a .308. Above that weight and you should really be shooting a 325 or 338 caliber. Inside that weight range though there is a selection of bullets available for any personal preference.

We shots 150 gr hollow points for years on whitetail deer (100-200 lb live weight) with good kills but bit exit wounds. We switched to 165 gr ballistic tips and haven't looked back. Most of the time they don't take a step with a boiler room shot, though if they are on the run to start you have to hit the shoulder blade to drop them on the spot. Meat damage is minimal. We (my family and extended family) have also shot various other bullets with good results but the ballistic tips have been the best for us.

Trajectory isn't that important here. You're going to be taking shots under 200yd most of the time anyway. That said, with a 200 yd zero and 180 gr heads you'll be ~1.5" high at 100 and about 8" low at 300. We used to sight in 2" high at 100, aim dead on out to 200, and aim leve with the top of the back at 300. That is better than a 6.5 with 140's.

Thanks,

Rick

An excellent deer calibre .A bit more poke than a .308 ,but not as much power as the .270 . A very popular calibre in the states . versatile to reload for and very accurate over the longer ranges .If my memory serves me right you can get a 220 grn bullit for it for use on the large antelope ,sheep ,goats .and bears .I think thats why it is so popular in the states . Harnser .

Have to agree with casts-by-fly; the 30-06 out-does the 270 all-ways, even with the same weight bullet. Factory loads are listed as 270; 150g bullet, 2705 ft/lbs ME. 30-06; 150g bullet, 2839 ft/lbs ME. Personally, here in the UK, I would go for the 308 for a number of reasons, huge variety of bullet weights, available just about everywhere and going to be around for a long time being military. The 30-06 has never had the popularity in the UK that it has in the USA for the simple reason that the UK military never used it on a large scale. The 30-06 is popular over there for the same reason that the 303 and 308 is here; its ex-mil.

The 30/06 is the same bore as 308 but with a longer case & better long range punch.It is very popular due to its great bullet choice due to target/military back ground like the 6.5 . The 243 is good on sika but agree with 30 cal for boar it has a good pedigree for the job. Not sure how your 6.5 shoots with heavyer bullets or if aloud abroad but think with a good hardish bullet that holds together i dont see it couldent do the job. This is what holds the 6mm cals back as they can only go out to 100g really other than that the 6mm rounds would rule & be a back bone of shooting history & competion more of.

Edited by v-max