Dog eating its own c***

Fisherman Mike

A friend rang me last night who has a 2 year old retriever dog which has developed a nasty habit of eating its own stools...

He has another dog which is a young Collie

He asked me for advise as to why it did this and how he could stop it, but Ive got no idea at all as I have never come across this previously. Only dogs eating horse or cow ****.

He feeds his dogs on Hills Science plan if that has any bearing and they appear to be very healthy.

Anybody have any ideas.?

FM.

I have no idea why they do it but we were once walking the dogs and pegs, a real scruffy collie, zoned in on what was definetely human dougie. before we could even shout her back she had wolfed the whole lot down. We we very green but it not seem to have any adverse effects on her at all!

jimDfish

If a dog eats its own stools, it is usually because there is undigested food left in the faeces. the only way to stop this is to:

1. change food

2. pick up mess as it is done.

I would be careful if changing food. this should be done gradually to avoid upset stomach or fussiness developing. Dogs do not have the need for a varied diet as we do. the will eat the same thing day in day out!

FM,

An ex colleague (****hole) of mine once had a similar problem, it turned out

that he used to beat the dog if it crapped in the house (Hence the "****hole" label)

so the dog got into the habit of eating his own stools so he wouldn't get beaten up.

I'm not saying that this is the case with your pal, but maybe a nervous dog could

associate a past ####ing after an accident in the house ?

Coprophagia, stool eating, it is not an uncommon bahaviour, to a dog the stool is just processed food, but it is a habit that is very difficult to eliminate once established. There are various theories as to what causes this behaviour although nothing absolutely conclusive. I know dogs that would die for a babies nappy. Cow, horse, human,cat, fox, dog.....its all the same to a dog who has established the habit. One possible solution I was told some time ago was to mix raw courgettes in with the food, this apparently make the stools less palatable.

Do a web search on coprophagia.

Jeff

We had a dog that would eat its own stools, we did the same as Yorkshire Pudding but with English mustard it worked a treat and the dog would not touch it after that. Also works if you have a chicken which is an egg eater, brow the egg out of the egg shell and replace it with mustard soon sorts them out.

Crow

Guest ferret_meister

has already said, they do it because their diet is lacking in a certian vitamin, cant recall off hand which, we used to have a lab that retrieved ****.....is fav was sheep :oops: