elder berry wine

pluckers son

out pike fishing today with my mate when we saw an elder berry tree with some ripe fruits on,can any one help me make some wine with the berrys.

also collected lots of wild backing apples and some nice eating apples,think i had to many eating apples though ill tell u in the morning hahahah.

My man! What a treat you are going to have.

Elderberry is just about the best hedgerow wine you can make. It does need to mature though, you can't make it in September and drink it in October...like alcoholic barbed wire. If you have the willpower to leave it a year or two it really is delicious.

There are lots of recipes to make all sorts of wine from elderberries, port like, dessert, all sorts. If you want a dryish table wine that will be a wow with the guests (my Bro in law gets legless on mine!) and goes well with pigeon and all game.....

Elderberries 3 lb

Minced sultanas 1 lb

Sugar 2lb

Citric acid tablespoon

Yeast nutrient 1/2 teasp

Campden tablet 1

Good red wine yeast

Water

Strip the berries off the stems (boring but essential) boil with water and strain off.

Thoroughly wash the waxy **** off the sultanas with hot water, and mince

Add the sugar and make up to 1 gallon. Add the other bits and bobs and away you go as per normal. Don't leave the fermented wine on the lees any longer than needs be...you can get a funny flavour.

Cheers!

Eug

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just picked a load of elderberries, do you have to put all the ingredients in a demi-john? or will a plastic bucket do? :lol: dont want to be going out shopping for loads of kit :lol: do you syphon it out and pour it through some sort of filter numerous times till it clears? cheers Digga :yp:

how long do you leave it before bottleing , whats the earliest you can drink it.

Darren ...

Digga -- where did you get that babe. :yp:

yea daz, its my mrs, lovely bouncers hasnt she, i think we should all put our partners, mrs, whatever on the site for a while ,be a refreshing change :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 3 months later...