Beretta Silver Pigeon removal of auto safe mechanism

oneyenogood

I see from your forum input that you appear to be a newbie.

i don't wish to be rude, but if you have, just started...........you perhaps should leave this in place, and get used to it for a bit at least.

You may have been shooting for years..and therefore forget this.

I see from your forum input that you appear to be a newbie.

i don't wish to be rude, but if you have, just started...........you perhaps should leave this in place, and get used to it for a bit at least.

You may have been shooting for years..and therefore forget this.

My Silver Pig's autosafe and a guy at my local clay range suggested I get this function disabled soon after I bought the gun as it would be a "pain in the ***".

I didn't and I'm very glad I didn't, I do more game shooting now than I used to (walked up rough) and I wouldn't like to be doing that without an autosafe gun.

Flicking the safety has just become part of my gun mounting routine, the safety gets flicked before I mount and pull the trigger. As gadgit say, my apologies if you are an experienced gun and new user, but if you are a new gun I would leave as is. Only IMO.

WGD

I'm not commenting on whether your capable of disabling it yourself, I do all my own smithing, but then again I restore cars so am pretty mechanically minded.

However i dislike auto safeties (I will say I mainly shoot clays) not because of missed shots but I don't like relying on safeties. Your gun is only safe broken and or unloaded. Don't be wandering around with a loaded closed gun with safety on assuming it is totally safe, it is only a mechanical component. And getting in to the habit is especially dangerous if you ever borrow a gun without auto safety.

I would agree with Wildoliver, the only sure safety is open and/or unloaded as all mechanical items have the potential to fail.

Just my t'pence.....

Garry.

Agreed, but an autosafety is an additional precaution which does no harm IMO. In WildOliver's case where clay shooting is the main use of the gun I can see the argument against the autosafety; the minute you go to walk away from the shooting cage the gun is broken and you only close it again when you are at another stand ready to call for a target. But this is not the case with walked up/rough shooting.

I also test my safety everytime I have my gun out so I know it is working, albeit it could fail at a critical moment.

It's about doing all you can, in your particular circumstances, to minimise the risk of an accident. Sorry for going off topic a bit here but the debate may give oneeyenogood food for thought.

WGD

I will point out i do shoot pest control and do walked up shooting. But I'd sooner miss a rabbit or pigeon having to close the gun, than hit a friend. I know the chances are miniscule but as the Americans prove every year accidents do happen!

And if your shooting over a magnet with gun out of hide you don't need the safety on anyway. I just don't like the things.

I will admit that I hate auto safety's with a passion.

I also believe that is completely wrong to think that a safety catch will stop the gun firing. Nearly all safety catches (Wrong name IMO) only prevent the trigger being pulled. If the gun is dropped or jarred sharply then the gun can still fire.

Baikal and Blaser are the only two guns that I know of with mechanisms in place to prevent accidental discharge. The Baikal has a hook that moves out of the way when the trigger is pulled but will catch the hammers should the sears fail. I am not entirely sure how the Blaser one works but probably along the same lines.

As Wildoliver says there is only one type of safe gun and that is an unloaded and broken one.

I also believe that is completely wrong to think that a safety catch will stop the gun firing. Nearly all safety catches (Wrong name IMO) only prevent the trigger being pulled. If the gun is dropped or jarred sharply then the gun can still fire.

Baikal and Blaser are the only two guns that I know of with mechanisms in place to prevent accidental discharge. The Baikal has a hook that moves out of the way when the trigger is pulled but will catch the hammers should the sears fail. I am not entirely sure how the Blaser one works but probably along the same lines.

As Wildoliver says there is only one type of safe gun and that is an unloaded and broken one.

:blink: Yep, spot on, the safeties on most guns merely block the triggers from being pulled, they do nothing to prevent the gun from firing if dropped or otherwise roughly treated.

:blink: Yep, spot on, the safeties on most guns merely block the triggers from being pulled, they do nothing to prevent the gun from firing if dropped or otherwise roughly treated.

So whos arguing with any of that? It's just an additional safety feature which will do no harm, all I'm saying is that I would rather have it than not.

WGD

No one is arguing, unless you want to :blink:

You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine. Just because you prefer something it doesn't necessarily make it the only way.

If your gun is broken or unloaded unless you are going to shoot then there is no need for the "Safety" catch

Another vote against auto safetys (personal preference).

None of my guns now have auto safety - the last one was a 20g beretta.

I suppose it's what you are used to. I was not used to auto safety so everytime (without flippin fail) I wanted to "fire" the gun I encountered the auto safety and missed whatever it was I wanted to shoot.

My other guns are not auto safety and thus far I have managed not to shoot anyone or anything I didn't intend to.

Out in the field - broken gun always. I do have a paranoid fear of semi autos and pumps with regards to safety. I shoot with someone who will always keep one up the barrel ready to rock and roll but with the safety catch on. If you are in a hide and waiting for the birds to come in and have to be quick, it's a necessary evil, the fall back being the golden rule of not pointing the barrel at anyone or anything you don't want to shoot. Still makes me nervous.

No one is arguing, unless you want to :good:

You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine. Just because you prefer something it doesn't necessarily make it the only way.

If your gun is broken or unloaded unless you are going to shoot then there is no need for the "Safety" catch

You are quite right, and do I want to argue? :lol: i get enough of that at home!!!

In saying that, the latest argument at home was won by me and I am now collecting a new ESS pup mid-April :blink: :good::yes:

Sorry, completely off topic but just booked the pup!

WGD

Having taken my son out to start shooting, I felt safer with him having the safety on the gun.

Yes, I made sure he understood the basics of safe handling of a gun. repeatedly, he opened the gun and was careful under my

instructions to apply what I had told him. After swapping back and forth I did feel that he had got this safety idea licked.

But after loading the gun he lost concentration just for a second, and turned towards me with the gun and said pull! &*$%$£"

My language was not very pleasent towards him..........but I had taught him to only turn off the safety as he raised the gun towards the clays. He had indeed got this bit right! But I was pleased the gun had the safety fitted and working, at that time.

Justout of interest, the Beretta 686S Sporter comes with the auto safety off, The previous owner must of had a moment with it as the safety auto was on and the dealer said perhaps something happened to convince him he needed it.

This is my last point on this matter..........its down to the individual to know if he's one of those people who might just do something he regrets.

Only You know if you are one of these, As i'm new to shooting, i'm not risking ME making a mistake, so 'its on' and I'm insured to boot for £10million!!!!

As someone once said, don't think everyone is as carefull as you are. Thats just being silly.

I work with people who are highly trained, for years............but they make mistakes, thats why I do the job I do.

Happy shooting!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't like auto safetys. I keep meaning to get the one on my SP removed. An open gun is a safe gun, a closed gun with the safety on is probably a safe gun too. Which one could fire? The one that's closed on a loaded chamber.

I'd like to be able to carry my gun broken on a walked up shoot and be able to shut it as I bring it up on a bird. Because of the auto safe I have to carry it closed with the safety on, as I can't close it and do the safety fast enough to hit what I'm shooting at. I have great awareness of what's around me and never point any of my guns at anyone, but would still prefer not to have that bloody safety catch making my field trips less safe. It's always possible that you may trip over on the day the safety decides to pack up. A safe gun is an open gun :lol:

After attending numerous shoots this year. when waiting for the birds to fly out from the bushes and trees, in a line........not one shooter had his gun open.

Most of them had safety fitted and their fingers on them to turn it off as they lift the guns. Some had allready turned them off, cos they new what they were doing.

Two chaps had their young sons on a shoot for the first time.....and they had there lads useing the safety...no problems for them at all.

As I said previously...It not you, you should worry about....its other idiots that are the trouble.....you must surely see that for someone out in the fields for the first time, being taught what to do, it must at least be safer to have that person with a safety!!! FOR YOU...NOT HIM!

And I've just had a bad day in the fields....nothing.........and got stuck in the mud to boot!!!!

Edited by gadgit