full size working poodles

casts_by_fly

Hi guys,

Are there any breeders of working poodles left? I know that was the original intent of the breed as a working dog, but obviously that has gone out the window. However, I'd be keen to know if there are any kennels that are breeding working poodles anymore. I don't want a dog if it isn't a working dog. My wife likes 'cute' dogs. We aren't getting one for another 16 months or so, but nows about the time to start looking if there is a breeder.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick,

There are a number of breeders in Canada and the USA. They are a great field dog and can give as good as they get at the retriever trials or the marsh.

I have had 3 ....actually my Outlaws......but have trained and hunted them. I am working on my 3rd now.

Have a look here:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...standard+poodle

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...&hl=poodle#

I know at one time I had a file with different pictures of poodles hunting but i can not find it now. Look around and if you can not find what you are looking for over there let me know and I will put you intouch with a personal friend and excellent breeder over here.

NTTF

http://retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23931

For "full-size," a working poodle in the US is anything 15 1/2 inches and above. That kind of distinction also ought to be made in the thread below about Munsterlanders: the kleiner or small Munsterlander is about the size of a large springer; the grosser or large Munsterlander referred to below is considerably bigger and "coatier."

As for poodles in field trials in North America, retriever trials--whether US or Canada--don't think so, NTTF. Working or hunt tests, yes.

MG

As for poodles in field trials in North America, retriever trials--whether US or Canada--don't think so, NTTF. Working or hunt tests, yes.

MG

Think you will find that they are competeing the following:

Hunt Tests---CKC Junior Hunter, Senior Hunter, Master Hunter

CKC Working Certificate----Working Certificate, Intermediate Working Certificate, Working Certificate Excellant

Field Trials for Retrievers.

Field trials for retrievers are open to all retriever breeds including Irish Water Spaniels and Standard Poodles.....Field Trial Champion, Amature Field Trial Champion.

CKC Canadian Kennel Club

AKC American Kennel Club

UKC United Kennel Club

NAHRA North American Hunting Retriever Association

Titles allowed to be earned by Retrievers including the Standard Poodle and Irish Water Spaniel in North America include:

CKC, AKC.....Junior Hunter (JH), Senior Hunter (SH), and Master Hunter (MH)

UKC....Hunting Retriever (HR), Hunting Retriever Champion(HRCH), Grand Hunting Champion (GHRCH), Upland Hunter (UH)

NAHRA.....National Field Champion (NFC), Amature National Field Champion (NAFC), Field Champion (FCh.), Amature Field Champion (AFCh.), Field Trial Champion (FTCh.), Amature Field Trial Champion (AFTCh.), Dual Champion (DC)

Started Retriever (SR), Working Retriever (WR), Master Hunting Retriever (MHR) Grand Master Hunting Retriever (GMHR)

A friend of mine has just titled the first Standard poodle in Canada as FTCh. and another breeder and friend of mine has several dogs titled (JH) , (SH), and (MH)

Have a look here: http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/clubs/retrieving.htm

NTTF

Thanks for that, NTTF--how long have poodles been eligible for CKC field trials, from the beginning? (Have to admit, when I learned long ago that no live birds were used in CKC trials, my enthusiasm for running them went out the window and I've not stayed up with retriever competition north of the border except for another minor breed that runs them.)

Poodles still cannot compete in AKC field trials, and unless the breed moves into the sporting group at the behest of its parent club and gains classification as a retriever, most likely never will. One of the comments on the thread from the link I posted was about a poodle running "unofficially" as a test dog in a minor level stake some while ago and earning opprobrium from the AKC that lasts to this day.

Can you tell more about your mate's FTCh.? I've seen some nice poodles afield in US hunt tests that might stand a good chance at succeeding in Canada's FTs.

MG

Cracker,

I can not remember how long it is that Standards have been allowed to run, but I will see if i can dig that up for you. I remember titling one of mine...while the Outlaws dog..... in Hunt Tests in the 80's. I seem to recall that it has been around 6 years.

I know I had a couple articles on Emily around here I will see if I can dig them up for you. May take me a bit to relocate them, but I will have a look.

It is funny as we use live birds in our Spaniel Trials, and our Pointing Dog Trials, and at the NAVHDA Trials but not at Retriever Trials.

NTTF

• 9 months later...

Hi Rick

I'm in South West Scotland and run a 3 year old black standard poodle. My experience shows very few purpose bred dogs in the UK, but don't let that put you off poodles.

The secret lies in the pup selection with poodles, pick the bold, confident, chasing pup and throw things for it to see if it will retreive them and has good prey drive. Poodles are slow to mature but are the most intelligent dogs you'll ever come across(only collies are as smart) and this means you need to modify your training methods and what you'd expect from the dog.

Poodles won't hunt in rough bushes if there are no birds/rabbits in the bushes just because you tell them to: they will go anywhere there are birds though and you have to trust the dog on this, as their sense of smell is second to none.

I wouldn't trade my boy for any other breed and although it has required a bit 'extra' in terms of training and I've taken some stick in the field, I let his work do the talking. I never expected him to be such a strong hunter but he's great and retrieves very well.

The odd things compared to a lab say, are if there are no birds around and any silly retrieves - for example if a bird landed 5 feet from me he wouldn't pick it up - he'd expect me to, but he has crossed raging rivers crawled through gorse and bracken and picked up birds and delivered them to hand (that could just be my training methods that the birds belong to me and not too many retrieves to sicken him).

They will work for 10 hours straight and never tire and rough, wet or freezing weather never bothers them.

If I had to criticise the breed, it'd be that they are sometimes too clever for their own good and you have to spend a bit of time picking briars and thorns out of their coat at the end of a days shooting.

Good luck if you do get one and let me know how you're getting on.

Edited by The Duck

• 6 years later...

Hi Folks im new here :friends: and I know this is an old thread but I was hoping someone might be able to advise me. Im getting a standers poodle to pick up with, he has been breed from all working lines ( redhunting poodles. Louter creek) I have found a litter just born here in the uk.

has anyone tried them for picking up if so how did they get on and any training advise please. I already have 3 labs I use to pick up with.

Having trained a few poodles for pet obedience etc they were good fun and quick to learn.

any help please. :yes: