Etiquette

Millsy

Hi all I`m between a rock & a hard place here!

Together with my lad, we have about 80 acres of ground to shoot rabbit/pigeon/crows etc. Been asked not to shoot any pheasant or hares if we see any, so we dont.

Ground is mixture of grazing for sheep/horses & some barley/wheat.

We get on great with the landowner & if he asks us to clear his barns of pigeons, or concentrate on certain areas for rabbits,we always comply happily. He`s even arranged for us to shoot fields neighbouring his. Its a very good relationship & we spend as much time as possible on the ground.

I was at the farmers house the other day,(drinking his coffee :good: ) and he said someone had approached him asking for permission to shoot his land. He had left a "letter of authorisation" with the farmer for him to sign if he wanted!.

The farmer had told him he would talk with me & ask what I wanted (bless him), & my immediate response was to say I wasn`t keen to have anyone else on the ground for 3 reasons. 1/ dont know the bloke from adam. 2/ I dont fancy sitting in a hedgerow or some hidden spot & have someone wandering up, taking a pot at something and not knowing I`m in the line of fire. 3/ the wording in his letter said " I, and anyone accompanying me are authorised to shoot"! How many friends has he got?

My dilema is this. Am I being a selfish sod by not wanting anyone else on the ground? Knowing that ground is hard enough to come by, should I share my privilage? I`m not sure what the etiquette is in these cases. When I`ve approached farmers for permission to shoot & they already have someone, I leave a card & back off.

The guy uses air rifles, 12g, & has applied for fac apparently, so I dont think he`s a newcomer

I`ve gone on a bit here, sorry about that but I`ve tried to give a full picture. Feedback would be very welcome

Cheers Millsy

i would'nt say your being selfish you probably worked pretty hard to get that permission and have the right to protect it. I would talk it more with the farmer mabay sugest limiting it to one or two people otherwise he may turn up accompanied with the whole of f troop, But why don't you offer to meet the other guy and discuss your concerns with him who knows it could result in some shared ground for you and your lad.

ss12

Hi all I`m between a rock & a hard place here!

The guy uses air rifles, 12g, & has applied for fac apparently, so I dont think he`s a newcomer

I`ve gone on a bit here, sorry about that but I`ve tried to give a full picture. Feedback would be very welcome

Cheers Millsy

I'm a little bit like you, in that when told somebody else has permission then I back off.

The other guy is just the same hopefully and is only looking for permissions.

Its your choice, is the land big enough for you both?

its your permission and you do not have to share with others if you do not want to.

Cheers taz

i would'nt say your being selfish you probably worked pretty hard to get that permission and have the right to protect it. I would talk it more with the farmer mabay sugest limiting it to one or two people otherwise he may turn up accompanied with the whole of f troop, But why don't you offer to meet the other guy and discuss your concerns with him who knows it could result in some shared ground for you and your lad.

ss12

id say this is the best option i have no land to shoot on at the moment and i nearly had 200 acres of permission the other week but the guy with the permission would allow me on it the land owner was happy for us to share but the guy wasnt having any of it,,,and he only shoots once aweek and he told me all in all he has over a 1000 acres to shoot on and it'd taken a long time to gather this and why should he share and in a way i respect that but im a very kind polite person and its obveous from the start when people meet me that im ok well i never get any bother and people always take to me very well and ive always treated folks how i wish to be tret,, but give the guy a call and at least meet him and if you dont like the smell of him just be polite and tell him how it is you have nothing to loose just something to gain as allready said you could end up with more land and even a nice shooting buddy?:P or things could go horrible wrong :good::hmm:

but good luck and try to bear in mind we all have to start some were

the funny thing is i left my contact deatils with this chap and told him of some things i had for sale as he asked if i wanted to buy a scope from him his rifle has broken and he wished to buy one from me i said yes but wanted to try before he bourght which is fair enough but he didnt want me to come along and as he was so distrusting of me i asuemed he hasnt trustworthy so i said he couldnt take it away with out me presant he wasnt happy and was rather rude about it,,,,now he has loads of land with lots to shoot but nothing to shoot with,,,, i know i shouldnt find this funny but i do :lol::no:

The line "3/ the wording in his letter said " I, and anyone accompanying me are authorised to shoot" is the best reason in the world to say NO!

My experience of this scenario is that there will be two or three, maybe more, turn up at a time, they will shoot everything on the farm and if at all possible get you kicked off. Hard I know, unfair maybe, and a big generalisation, but I have seen it happen too many times.

How many shooters on this forum would honestly go along with this, and chance either their shoot being ruined or being elbowed out? No, me either.

I must be honest, my answer would also be NO !!

i have worked hard to convince landowners to give me permission to shoot on there land, i will not step on other peoples toes by shooting on there land, if i ask a landowner for permission and he tell,s me someone else shoot there i say thankyou very much for youre time and walk away,

if you go lamping at night the last thing you want is someone else on youre patch lamping as well !!!!! :hmm: we hear of mistakes being made that way by inexperienced AND experienced shooters.

it may sound mean and cruel by not sharing the land but its a damm site safer.

also as the post says, how many "mates" will he turn up with :no:? i have just managed to get permission on a farm with orchards because the previous shooter had turned up with loads of "mates" and in turn there mates had just turned up and started shooting !! when the land owner tackled them he was told - Oh, my MATE says i can shoot on here- i,ve got his permission !!! so he was kicked off and had his shooting rights revocked :good::lol:

shaun

Many many thanks to all for your comments.

I can see both sides, & could argue for either :yes: but I reckon I`ll stick with just me & my son.

It`s a good point raised about possible extra shooting ground, but frankly at this time, I dont need any more, & if I had more, this could possibly spread my time a bit thin! (this comment will probably come back & bite me I know)

we`re not totally selfish by the way :welcomeani: we do take shooters with us on occassions, but only one at a time, and we do keep an eye on them just so they dont shoot areas they shouldn`t.

Any road up.....thanks again lads.

Millsy

The line "3/ the wording in his letter said " I, and anyone accompanying me are authorised to shoot" is the best reason in the world to say NO!

My experience of this scenario is that there will be two or three, maybe more, turn up at a time, they will shoot everything on the farm and if at all possible get you kicked off. Hard I know, unfair maybe, and a big generalisation, but I have seen it happen too many times.

How many shooters on this forum would honestly go along with this, and chance either their shoot being ruined or being elbowed out? No, me either.

:welcomeani:

My permissions state "ME" and anyone accompaning me because sometime I take one of my brothers, grandson or another forum member for example. This also allows for mentors and protégé’s without troubling the farmer after dark to ask if "so and so can come on this occasion". I explain it's generally only one other person. It's reasonable to assume the farmer felt the bloke was agreeable and of sound judgement regarding his companions - as are most FAC holders.

80 acres aint much in the grand scheme of things, and it sounds like you have worked hard at that special relationship with someone who allows you to roam there land with a gun. Keep it for yourself in my opinion.