House Training & Crate Training

Loved this thread,we have never had a puppy always older trained dogs,but we bought a rhodesian ridgeback Monday,he's 8 weeks however the mother died following 2 days labour and 10 pups,in just 4 days he no longer has bowel motion in side ,and mostly through the day he peed outside ,rooughly 2 accidents in the night .he sleeps in the kitchen alone well on his blanket.he was used to sharing a stable with 7 pups,and a horse next door so I guess he peed their ,really pleased with his progress tho considering no former training.how many weeks do you think it may be before he can hold urine long enough through the night .or should I use a crate now

I used the crate straight away with both my pups and just got up every few hours to let them out for about ten days, was quite tiring but after doing that they know not to go in the crate and they will be let out so they would last from about 11 at night till 5 in the morning which wasnt too bad. I did have a problem with my springer pup where she got so scared she would poo in the crate, i got over this by putting her crate in our bedroom for a couple of nights which some people wont agree with but it worked for us.

Well our little boy has had 2 straight dry nights and so far today no accidents inside tempting fait .however during the day yesterday he had 4 little pees in 15 mins inside.anyone rec comend a good complete puppy food for large breed dogs from experiance .the shops seem to want to sell us the most expensive ?.

My springer pup started on skinners puppy and she is now on skinners complete salmon and rice and she has turned out great powerful little dog with a nice coat. Only thing i found with it is need about twice as much food as recommended on the bag, but my collie has the amount it says on the bag and is doing well on it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well our little boy has had 2 straight dry nights and so far today no accidents inside tempting fait .however during the day yesterday he had 4 little pees in 15 mins inside.anyone rec comend a good complete puppy food for large breed dogs from experiance .the shops seem to want to sell us the most expensive ?.

I used Arden Grange for years but have just changed to CSJ its a really good food and Cheep. comes well recommended really good for a working dog.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Hi Guys, 

Picked up our lab puppy last week at 8 weeks old. 

He came from a working home and went into the kennel from the house at 6 weeks old with his siblings, uncle and two

cockers (separate kennels but same building).

puppies were already very clean and waiting to go No.2 in the morning. 

So after reading this thread we decided crate training was the way forward.

Father in law gave us two crates. One about 1.0m x 0.6m x 0.6m. We put that crate in our bedroom.

The other crate is about 1.5m x 0.8m x 0.8m. This is in our living room. 

We started off the first two nights getting up every 3 hours to let him out for a wee. 
Then pushed it to 4 hours.

He is 9 weeks old and Now we are going to bed about 11 and he normally wakes me up with a bit of whining at 01:00 then sleeps right through to 6AM when I get up. I play with him, do a little training, feed him and out him back to bed for hour and a half till 9AM when my Mrs takes over. 

No mess. Not a single accident in his crate. He had two little puddles in the living room but I'm sure that's down to us missing his tells.

he doesn't mind his crate in the bedroom. He whines for about 3-5 minutes then settles down. He doesn't take himself off though and you do have to put him in there with a treat or he hunkers down not wanting to go in. 

The crate downstairs, a completely different story. We gave him treats when putting him in there with the door open and praised him.

if he sees you doing things, cleaning etc, he doesn't whine too much but if you go outside or sit down he will whine for 15 minutes or more. 

You can feed him in there, after 2 minutes he will start whining. 

We are struggling to figure out what's getting him worked up and it's quite frustrating.

He seems to have a really good well behaved day, like yesterday, where he perfected lay down, and some heel work. 
then today he is a terror from the moment he wakes up. 

currently working from lez grahams book and the BG Gundog app. 

Any advice?

we are thinking of trying to make the crate downstairs a little smaller with wire mesh and cable ties. 

Great post and advice. Almost exactly as I do it. You will see from the pic I start with the door open and put bedding water and food in so they go in naturally. Once they are comfortable food and water outside and bedding and toys inside. When they go in a treat and start introducing the command “kennel” as that is where they will be at about 18-20 weeks. They soon learn to relax and at night an old blanket over the top means it’s bedtime.

toilet training tends to take several weeks and is a matter of timing. As soon as they wake, before bed, after meals and every hour during the day, they are put out on the grass. Introduce the toilet command and lots of praise. You will get accidents and have to accept small bladders. Think how long it takes to potty train a child and be patient.7C5BE441-EEF1-4A95-B107-04D45CF41367.jpeg.0542af419957965010094d2737abda14.jpeg

4A72B357-E54A-40EA-956F-AA71DD472455.jpeg

E44A758E-A8C2-4BC5-9795-C492B042523F.jpeg

D698322F-AFB6-406A-B365-E85146AEBFA4.jpeg

Edited by Dave at kelton
Typos and errors with photos

5 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Great post and advice. Almost exactly as I do it. You will see from the pic I start with the door open and put bedding water and food in so they go in naturally. Once they are comfortable food and water outside and bedding and toys inside. When they go in a treat and start introducing the command “kennel” as that is where they will be at about 18-20 weeks. They soon learn to relax and at night an old blanket over the top means it’s bedtime.

toilet training tends to take several weeks and is a matter of timing. As soon as they wake, before bed, after meals and every hour during the day, they are put out on the grass. Introduce the toilet command and lots of praise. You will get accidents and have to accept small bladders. Think how long it takes to potty train a child and be patient.7C5BE441-EEF1-4A95-B107-04D45CF41367.jpeg.0542af419957965010094d2737abda14.jpeg

4A72B357-E54A-40EA-956F-AA71DD472455.jpeg

E44A758E-A8C2-4BC5-9795-C492B042523F.jpeg

D698322F-AFB6-406A-B365-E85146AEBFA4.jpeg

Sorry can’t work out what extra photos uploaded and can’t delete