snakes

elkrout2007

Adder bites dont really do anything to you, ive been bitten by them a few times and the worst I have had from an adder bite was a flu like feeling for about an hour. If you are fit and strong you wont have any problems and their mouths are so small they can only bite onto certain areas like fingertips

They certainly arent anything to worry about, 9 times out of 10 they will be gone as soon as you get near them

thats not really a very accurate discription of a "normal" envenomation by vipera berus i know several people who have ended up in a bad way in hospital due to bites from adders

My couisn was out walking his dog last year got home and told the mrs he wasnt feeling well and had a aching leg, her being a nurse just laughed at him and told him it was man flu.

12pm (4 hours later) that night he woke sweating and nausious , looked at his leg as it felt red hot only to find it was swollen and looked bruised all over. Ambulance called by his mrs and the next day was diagnosed as been bitten by a adder after blood tests and finding the puncture marks on his calf ! spent 3 days in stafford hospital.

To this day he says he never felt the bite. :good:

We have a small beach hut just up from sidmouth, around the hut it is all south facing with lots of rocks perfect sunbathing place for adders. a couple of times now our dogs have been bitten on the nose as they have poked them into small rocky crevasses.

They don’t half yelp but the best cure we have found stuffing a crushed up piriton tablet down their neck, the swelling soon goes down :good: it makes them a bit sleepy but does the trick. Piriton would also be what i would take if bitten by an adda, they say it feels like a bad wasp sting, but then i guess different people react to it in different ways.

i think one of the main reasons people die from the bites is mostly due to shock, the fact that they have just been bitten by a largish snake that you dont normally see in england

Edited by Curly87