To dock or not to dock that is the question

PEREGRINE

What is everyones opinion on docking working breeds? The Springer pup I have just bought does not have her tail docked and this is the first one I have had with a tail, do you think this will effect her in the field? Cosmetically I prefer docked springers but will not put her through an operation just for looks, the vet says he will dock her for £170 but I dont think its fair to do that too her when there is no medical reason to do so. What do you think?

A very controversal subject so I will speak from my experiences.

I have a German Shorthaired Pointer who was docked and dewclawed at 3 days old. When Im out with him he gets very exited and a long tail would act as a whip, whipping against brambles trees etc. Im sure that I would have had to have taken him to the vets before now to be stitched up.

But

I always thought that It was illegal to dock puppies over a few days old?

Acording to my vet it is not illegal but unethical unless you can prove discomfort to the dog ie. cut tail from brush etc. My vet refused unless I could provide this proof, but another vet said he would do it anyway for £170!! I think I wodo it now unless it was proving a disadvantage to the dog, but I do wish the breeder had done it a 3 days.

As I stressed in my first post I have no intention of docking the dog unless it becomes a problem to her. My aim at posting in the first place is to get peoples views on docking in general, and to discover why docking has suddenly become a tabboo practice amongst a lot of breeders.