which 4x4?

mahmood

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a land rover 90 (1988) with a 200tdi engine coversion, disco steel wheels,colway 265- 70 -16 mud terain tyres, remote roof mounted light force 170 lamp. never been stuck in it :)

this is made for the job wether i'm lamping or just carting decoying equpment about.

i use it every day work & play

you wont get a better offroader than a landy :D:lol: :thumbs:

I had until recently a 2.5 v6 Grand Vitara and it was awesome off road.

My younger brother has the 2.0l diesel version

I go shooting with a guy who has a old style GV 1.6 petrol with 287,000 miles yes287000miles on the clock and it runs as sweet as a nut. Puurrrrrs like a kitten.

I have field driven and rigorously so, all of the common 4 x 4,s at off road days and the Vitara ( Old and new range) have real off road capability with selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive. It would put many of its competitors costing 3 or 4 times more to shame.

I regularly use my Uncles 2.8 TD Diahatsu Fieldman and that too is absolutely bombproof. How much you looking to spend as my friend has a really good Sporttrack in his garage at the moment and I know he will do a deal. It is a real cracker.

FM.

we had an old pajero its was literally a tank and could go anywer, but not sure about the di-d version my cousin is a car dealer and he told us that they are a bundle of scrap- bad build quality, and some probelm with the engine(cant rember what though) but these probelms only in di-d version, also a friend has one and hes says its lovely to drive but hes not happy with jeep in general, because he thinks theres a lack of power in the disel versions compared to older shoguns.

Ozo

you wont get a better offroader than a landy :D:lol: :thumbs:

With you all the way there Tommy :)

Ive had two series 3 109" landies, loved both of them to bits, never let me down, and were a doddle to maintain.

Thought nothing of driving the 300 miles to cornwall in them a few times to go camping. :)

Dont care what anyone says, they really are the best off road vehicle ever built.

Both of mine were petrol guzzlers too :) If i get another one it will be diesel conversion i think.

Only one option available to you geezer.

LAND ROVER DEFENDER 90 TDI

All those who will slate it drive what us LR owners call "hairdressers cars"

We suspect their wifes force them to buy something that they can drive occasionally and is available in pretty colours.

They also like to think they have off road capabilities, but they don't.

Most will spend their time on tarmac (90%) and drive into a little puddle of mud and really, really believe they are awesome off road.

LB :D:lol: :thumbs: :):):)

Land rover defender. £18K plus. Its a bit expensive to carry bails of hay and drive through pig sh$t :D:lol: :thumbs: They don't give much away do they Land Rover. everthing is an optional extra. It even comes standard with VINYL seats. My the are a generous lot.

I drive one of the "hairdresser" cars 3.2DI-D, and no it doesn't see any off road work. For being awesome off road ? Paris Dakar. How many times have landrover won it? or even finished it ? How cares :):):)

Jonno :(

Oh dear, the hairdressers are swinging their handbags :lol: :thumbs: :):)

Jonno, 3.2DI-D, the P/Daker winner only shares the name. Yours wouldn't do 10 K, sorry to dissapoint you darling. :lol:

So off you all go to the mall and do some shopping.

LB ROFLMAO :D

Hilux is good but can not do a 3 point turn :) :( :(

No need for a 4x4 when pigeon shooting only for serious greenlaning or off road work.

Quite true...

I now use a two door mark 3 Fiesta zetec sport or My wifes Focus C-Max and they get me and the dogs where I need to go..

I have never found that a cumbersome oil burning tank of a 4 x 4 has improved my bags. :D or brought more pigeons to the decoys but it seems to be the "got to have it"accessory for shooting people.

As for the Landy debate... well you either love em or you hate em... Personally I think that when you are essentially buying a Tractor with a cab and boot they are much too expensive.

Everybody should buy a Land Rover, they are the best off roader ever made. :D

Puzzled?:lol:

The shogun at its best

"Annihiating their peers with four FIA Cross Country World Champioships. and establishing itself as the most successful vehicle in history of the toughest motorsport event of them all with eight outright wins in the notorious Dakar rally"

Yeh probably right mate the landrover is the best off roader ever made :lol: :thumbs: :):):) :( :( :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jonno

The shogun at its best

"Annihiating their peers with four FIA Cross Country World Champioships. and establishing itself as the most successful vehicle in history of the toughest motorsport event of them all with eight outright wins in the notorious Dakar rally"

Yeh Yeh Yeh.... yawn...

Where was it then during the second world war mate...In the Africa campagne in the Sudan, In Egypt, Burma, Borneo, France, Italy & Eastern Europe, Korea, The Falklands and The Gulf.:)? :D:lol: :thumbs:

Shogun my ***. recycled coke tins... :):)

No need for a 4x4 when pigeon shooting only for serious greenlaning or off road work.

I can't agree with such a general statement.

A lot depends on where you shoot, the weather conditions and your own health.

Also having to clean out the family car after every outing would be a bind.

I shoot flat grounds where the land remains moist for 9 months of the year and also quite hilly wooded areas with quite steep, muddy, rutted tracks.

My Subaru Legacy did not even like these conditions, ground clearance especially being a problem.

Of course I could leave the family saloon car in the concreted farmyard and walk the mile or so across the fields to my chosen shooting position, with all my gear on my back, but realistically, I am not fit enough to do that (I doubt many here are).

If your shooting is a drive along a metalled road, park in a layby, hop over the hedge and set up, you are very lucky.

Everybody should buy a Land Rover, they are the best off roader ever made. 

jonno 357, my comment was made very "tongue in cheek".

There have been a million words typed on this Forum in many threads, debating the merits of off road vehicles.

Landrover owners go on and on and on and on, its quite exhausting.

If you believe them, the first vehicle on the Moon was a Landrover, eventually Landrover will find a cure for all known diseases, World peace will only be achieved by Landrover, etc . etc. etc. :D:)

So, I was trying to short circuit the process, by surrendering straight away. :lol: :thumbs: