which 4x4?

mahmood

i am also going to use it for lamping, i normally used to leave my car at the entrance of the field until a few weeks ago, i was out decoying and came back to the car to find that it had been broken into and the stereo gone :D. and its hard to carry all ur stuff as well around the field. i have seen a sportrak for a 1000 its a 93 model with all the electrics, going to have a look at it 2day and maybe buy it, thanks for the advice guys

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the landy debate, my 2p worth.

We had a series II a few of years back, bought because I heard how good they were.

After spending £££££s on getting the chassis / gearbox / steering box repaired/replaced it was finally roadworth.

Have to say there was absolutely nowhere it would not go, even with 3 in the front, 4 in the back & 3-4 dogs.

BUT it was the worse thing imaginable on-road. Slow, noisey, steering wandered.

Eventually gave up and bought the old RR.

RTR

Up for all the **** you can throw at me, cos I drive a frontera.

As for its off road capabilites, a morning flight is 130 miles round trip.

Day out ruff shooting is 250 miles round trip.

Combining the 2 is a 300 mile day travel from 5 in the morning till 7 in the evening.

With all that the most off road is down some rough farm tracks. Never got stuck in any 4x4 (siearra or mondeo) but regualrly when using 2 wheel drive.

Why a frontera and not a landie, Well I wanted a Disco but when I went to view it there ws a 9yr old rangie 11,700 and 8yr old disco 11,600 and a 2yr old frontie 11,400. With both the lr & RR having mileage in the 80-90k range.

Frontie hat 35k miles. now has 70k and going strong. :D

Had a series III landie back ine the 80's would go anywhere but the motorway or safely over 60 :lol:

Country est,i too drive a frontera and i love it.Does everything i want it to every time.I would like a landy i wont denie it,but the money they cost for what you get isn't worth it,thats my opionion.How many realy use a 4x4 to the max,up to the axles in mud,over the bonnet in water.I don't.It goes down farm tracks across stubble fields thats good enough for what i want :D

Everybody should buy a Land Rover, they are the best off roader ever made. :D

:lol: :thumbs: :):):)

Nice one :lol:

Series 3 Landy - the dogs nuts. The older the better, get one with plenty of dents in it. £1000 should be ok for a decent one, insurance about £120 :(

You wont have to worry about scratching the lovely paint job cos it wont have one :( , the seats will be vinyl but good for your posture ! the interior can be hosed out whenever you want - no need to vacuum it !

Lovely motors.

(you have probably guessed that i like landies a bit :lol: )

when are all you little island dwellers gonna understand there is only one offroad vehicle worth the coin

http://www.hummer.com/ :( :lol:

the one and only hummer :lol: ,doubles as a nice school bus for all you who live out in the wilds like :D ,,,,,,,,,,, kings lynn , llannelli ,st germans ,or yorkshire,lot of mole hills in yorkshire i hear ,need something strong to get up em,

cant figure out all the fuss over a landy ,like a mechano set with solid tires :)

go get a real offroader :thumbs: :)

ask any yank :) :(

I'm driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I am not going to tell that it is the 4x4 for in the fields, very nice to drive but not for the hard work + had a lot of costs on it (American ****, had to replace 2x fuelpump, waterpump, radiator, a part of the engine and chassis in 4 years time) What I think that is a good 4x4 for a fare price is the Daihatsu Rocky, Mitsubishi L200 and what YP said, the Lada Niva. Those i saw at work in the fields and was amazed by there work. :yp:

Yeah, I got the Frontera and I will agree its fairly ****, but not 8- 10K "crapper" that the same year disco, when I bought it 2 years old. No its not a REAL 4x4 but a s I said 300 miles M3 M27 M25 M2 :rolleyes: and 300yds farm track :yp: its a lot more comfortable than a 90, Which has the same space as a fiesta (with the seats folded down) in the back. :*)

With the wondrous 90 I would not fancy the a long run to Scotland 4 up + 2 labs, the kids in the back. With the frontie they have got proper seats not sideways, with a quick fitting they also have a table and power outlets (12v) for the Play station & gameboys, with 240v for the laptop with DVD player. :rolleyes:

So as a 4x4 off road it is quite ****, but for what I use it for it's more than adequate as a family car I can use for Shooting. More of a Shooting Brake than out & out 4x4.

trev

I SO wish I could be a hairdresser, then I could pose with my offroader that is comfortable, has real cloth seats, makes shopping an absoulute pleasure and only costs £12.95. :P

Oh well, will have to settle for a noisey, smelly, boat like steering, butt numbing ride with bad fuel consumption. :P

LB sick as a parrot and gutted :yp: :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Last Engineer, there are reasons Hummers aren't popular over here. First as already pointed out fuel costs when you pay over £0.80 a litre for your go juice I'm sure you'll find something else to drive. Another reason is our roads, apart from our motorways and dual-carridge ways our roads are about four feet wide, whereas your Hummer is about three miles wide.

Squint

squint ,you have to admit youd be the dogs ******** though :yp: , driving that sob down the road think of all the landys you could show your friends that are stuck in your treads ,you could have a pull a landy out of my tires party on a saturday night after a days shoot, bring your own tire iron of course :rolleyes::rolleyes:

i do know the roads there ,i drove them for 15 years in a 18 wheeeler ,manys a time to the malt plants up in your kneck of the woods (edinburgh mainly) quaint little place scotland , ;) ,

just joshin ya squint

martin