Garden Gun ???

HEAD SHOT

The 9mm rimfire rounds are pretty hard to come by and are expensive. About £8 - £10 per box I think.

As suggested, better with a .410 and 2" shells filled with no.9 shot.

Each box has 50 cartridges in it though, so not too bad really. I once heard that they were invented by the victorians to shoot songbirds for collections but i have no idea if that is true or not.

I have killed magpies at about 15yards with one.

The garden gun is quite fun, can let the kids have a play.

But be very careful if you are using them in a garden, you can get lead bouncing back at you from walls, the rockery etc.

9mm "garden gun" cartridges, or to give their correct name, 9mm Flobert, are still loaded in West European countries, the last 50 that I bought were in an Eley box, with 'Made in France' on it.

They were originally available in No.1 bore (6mm) No.2 bore (7mm) and No.3 (9mm).

Many kids had 9mm shotguns when I was a lad, they had the advantage that you could pull the shot and insert a 303 bullet, hopelessly inaccurate and possibly caused horrendous pressures, but we had no computers in those days!

The 6mm shotguns were much prized, as they would take a 22LR round, again hopelessly inaccurate through a smooth bore, but they kept us amused.

7mm was the most poular size for 'walking stick' shotguns.

The only one really to survive, both in this country and Europe is the 9mm long, cartridges were originally available in bulleted, short shot and long shot.

I saw a really nice, magazine fed, semi-auto No.3 shotgun in a gunshop in Belgium several years ago, I have always regretted not buying it.

Edited by bob300w

Your right Bob... my first 'shotgun' was a 9mm bolt action of unknown origin, absolutly great for Rats, Starlings and Pigeon around the chicken sheds and pig runs.

The last cartridges i bought were made by Fiocchi , can't remember the price......or the range of the little gun, but it seemed alright at the time .

As for pulling the shot and substituting a lead bullet.... very naughty and very illegal .. tut. tut !..... if i remember right a .38 bullet or ball fitted ok... not that i ever did anything like that. :good:

It's a gun i will get again one day, as i see you can get them in O/U or SxS now..... Lincoln do one and i'm sure i saw another advert for a sxs recently.

Dave :w00t:

You will remember these then, 9mm long shot, 6mm shot and 6mm long shot, 6mm BB and CB caps. And a box of the old 1950's 9mm long shot.

post-1705-1208420754.jpg

Unfortunately not....only the silver cased Fiocchi ones...

My Dad bought the gun from a secondhand shop for 30/- including half a box of cartridges in the late 50's early 60's.... all replacement cartridges had to be ordered from the gun shop as they didn't carry them in stock.

I was banned from using them in the sheds because of the damage it did to the walls( chicken sheds were made from asbestos sheet) and had to restrict myself to running rat shots outside !...

Dave :good:

The garden gun got its name from the fact its main use in this country was to shoot birds in orchards, my mate has one mainly as a novelty item, im my opinion its a pop gun I keep expecting a cork to pop out the barrel, and talking about the barrel heres a warning to any one with one or thinking of getting one, they usaly have barrels under 24", my mates measures 23" and I pointed this out to him that he could be in trouble for having a shotgun with a barrel under 24" (its a joke that such a gun needs a licence) so if you are thinking of buying one take your measuring tape with you.

The garden gun got its name from the fact its main use in this country was to shoot birds in orchards, my mate has one mainly as a novelty item, im my opinion its a pop gun I keep expecting a cork to pop out the barrel, and talking about the barrel heres a warning to any one with one or thinking of getting one, they usaly have barrels under 24", my mates measures 23" and I pointed this out to him that he could be in trouble for having a shotgun with a barrel under 24" (its a joke that such a gun needs a licence) so if you are thinking of buying one take your measuring tape with you.

If you regard any gun as a joke, you are not fit to hold a certificate. Many people have been killed or lost their eyesight from what you regard as a joke.

Bob

"Many kids had 9mm shotguns when I was a lad, they had the advantage that you could pull the shot and insert a 303 bullet, hopelessly inaccurate and possibly caused horrendous pressures, but we had no computers in those days!"

Oh how you have brought memories back. When we could not get hold of 303 heads we used to use fishing ledger weights of a similar shape, again very inaccurate but boy was it fun !!

Used to use the No3 in cherry orchards in the spring to shoot Bullfinches and got paid 6d for every one we shot.

Charlie

Bob

"Many kids had 9mm shotguns when I was a lad, they had the advantage that you could pull the shot and insert a 303 bullet, hopelessly inaccurate and possibly caused horrendous pressures, but we had no computers in those days!"

Oh how you have brought memories back. When we could not get hold of 303 heads we used to use fishing ledger weights of a similar shape, again very inaccurate but boy was it fun !!

Used to use the No3 in cherry orchards in the spring to shoot Bullfinches and got paid 6d for every one we shot.

Charlie

That's what I call fun, and getting paid for it! We used to shoot starlings in cherry orchards with 12g, free cartridges, but we probably damaged more cherries than we saved! :w00t:

I supposed that you used to fire 303 rounds in a 410 as well? Course not....... :good:

Edited by bob300w

If you regard any gun as a joke, you are not fit to hold a certificate. Many people have been killed or lost their eyesight from what you regard as a joke.

I say a joke because the power is below a non FAC air rifle and I believe we are the only country in Europe probably the world who need a licence for one, I would think the only way you could kill a person with a 9mm garden gun would be to hold the gun by the barrel and hit them hard over the head with the butt.........ok any gun can be dangerous to eyesight I will give you that point but I dont think that fact justifies the need to class the garden gun the same as say a 12 bore.

I say a joke because the power is below a non FAC air rifle and I believe we are the only country in Europe probably the world who need a licence for one, I would think the only way you could kill a person with a 9mm garden gun would be to hold the gun by the barrel and hit them hard over the head with the butt.........ok any gun can be dangerous to eyesight I will give you that point but I dont think that fact justifies the need to class the garden gun the same as say a 12 bore.

OK, so you have confirmed my opinion that you are not a fit person to hold a shotgun certificate.

Presumably, by your logic, as I own a 1 1/2" punt gun and a 4 bore, your 12g is a joke because it is smaller by comparison?

People have been killed with non-FAC air rifles, the sport does not need people with your attitude.

I'm sorry Bob I think your being over sensitive here. I don't imagine the chap is meaning for a second that the gun should be handled unsafely, I don't see anything he's said suggesting him to be a danger at all. The 9mm garden gun (and even more so .22 shotshell gun) are pretty useless objects unless shooting small songbirds or small rodents. And it looks to me that he is just making the same comment most of us think which is it is a pretty useless (although exceedingly good fun) object. We get enough idiots on here making absurd comments (think viking) that this one seems normal to me at least.

They may have a limited use, they may be small... but they can still kill.... definately not to be dismissed as a toy or gimmic not worthy of a licence.

I don't know what power they produce, or if it is less than an FAC air rifle, but i do know they they make a mess of Rats , shed walls or anything else you put in front of them.

In the right place they are fun to use and very effective.... i would get another if the need arose again.

No firearm should be dissmissed as a 'pop gun ' just because it's small and comparetivly puny compared to a 12 bore or FAC air rifle.

Dave

:good::w00t: ive shot mine at a plastic bowl at around 10 /15 yds,and it blew quite a hole in it. i personally would not like to get shot with it :):w00t: think id take my chance with an air rifle anyday. very silly comments imho. its a shot gun as classed my the law,small or not,and would never let any of my kids alone with it . :w00t:

Why should a no. 6 shot coming out of a 9mm garden gun be any less potent than a piece of no.6 from a 12 bore? If they leave the barrel at similar velocities then they will be as potent at the same ranges.

I would no more let you shoot at me at 60yds witha 9mm than I would a 12 bore.

The numbers of pellets is the only difference.

And incidently I have shot several rabbits with a 9mm up to 20yds and probably further.