Garden Gun ???

HEAD SHOT

• 6 months later...

hi,

new member of this forum - dad bought o/u garden gun which we used to shoot the rats round the feeders at the shoot when we went out feeding. GREAT fun - yes 10 yds would do it + slow shells but better than waiting for a still shot with airgun !

bless him he died 7yrs ago, now my 5 and 6yr old boy and girl have a go at some targets in the garden, good to get the feel with no recoil or noise - but still gives the visible 'hit'

i remember the old paper case (only see the metal shells now) and remember dad's stories of sparrows etc.

for a few quid worth having in the cabinet.

not sure about the 303 head, as a boy me and the neighbour nearly copped it playing with one of these in a fire ! someone once told me they dropped wax into the shell to bind the shot !

boys will be boys, but our kids will probably never get the same fun as we had.

coolham guns

browning 325 20b

browning .410

berretta 20b

various others + various airguns

12b are for those of little confidence of the potenecy of the smaller bore (no insult intended for those who ACTUALLY require the extra 5yds of range and ARE capable of consistently using it )

I was interested to see someone's dad got one for 30/-. That's just what my dad paid a chap at work for a Webley bolt action garden gun in 1964. One brand of cartridge used thinnish paper around the shot and wad and burnt when it was fired. This resulted in a jet of flame at the muzzle and loads of fouling.

They were rubbish though.

I used a 9mm a lot around a farmyard, great for rats and ferals at no more than 10 yards. A very useful ratting tool. I once downed a woodpigeon in the back garden, at a range of less than 10 yards, as it flew between two large oak trees about 40 yards apart.

A keeper pal of my Dad's used to tell the tale of a little sit-in toy car he had. The hollow tin wheel would rattle where his Dad had hit it with a solid slug out of the 9mm. The solid slug went through one side of the wheel but not the other. I would think that an accident with the 9mm at close range, even with no9 shot, could be very nasty indeed.

• 6 years later...

I had a 9mm shottie many years ago. It made a horrendous bang inside a building, and I am sure those cartridges were much more powerful than an airgun, to judge by the effect on targets.

Hi

In the forties I had a fourten took the shot out of the cartridge and poured it back in with a mix of candle grease ?????????? happy days